Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

procrastinator
Gold Member

Powerpro Competitor

Post by procrastinator »

The "For The Love Of Wood" web site has a very interesting Powerpro alternative!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEbHGBGc5s
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by algale »

Looks interesting. Wonder what the innards are like.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

procrastinator wrote:The "For The Love Of Wood" web site has a very interesting Powerpro alternative!
Interesting but... Lots of questions. Do you need a SS PowerPro to start with? If not whose motor and controller is this guy using? If you do need a SS power pro then you have to buy this guys controller for more money. Why? He has no web site so why would one promote this without a web site and an offer to sell his product?

I don't see anything better than the SS unit. You can buy an after market stop switch pretty cheap so that is a non starter. Why would I want a knob for speed control as opposed to a push button? His remote is interesting but it does not have a readout for the speed so I still have to look under the table to set the speed I want. So I may as well push the speed buttons while I am looking under the table to see the speed setting with the remote.

I have to think SS will have something to say about this if it ever goes forward more than the video.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This guy use to be a traveling shopsmith sales person.... not sure if he is anymore???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

jsburger wrote:
procrastinator wrote:The "For The Love Of Wood" web site has a very interesting Powerpro alternative!
Interesting but... Lots of questions. Do you need a SS PowerPro to start with? If not whose motor and controller is this guy using? If you do need a SS power pro then you have to buy this guys controller for more money. Why? He has no web site so why would one promote this without a web site and an offer to sell his product?

I don't see anything better than the SS unit. You can buy an after market stop switch pretty cheap so that is a non starter. Why would I want a knob for speed control as opposed to a push button? His remote is interesting but it does not have a readout for the speed so I still have to look under the table to set the speed I want. So I may as well push the speed buttons while I am looking under the table to see the speed setting with the remote.

I have to think SS will have something to say about this if it ever goes forward more than the video.
The control panel looks to be stock Nova, though the case is rearranged so the screen is below the controls, no doubt the motor and remote are also. One would have to wonder if the controls have been programed and tweaked for the Shopsmith like the Power Pro is.

https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova- ... -for-1624/
reible wrote:This guy use to be a traveling shopsmith sales person.... not sure if he is anymore???

Ed
I would suspect not. :eek: In his first video he said he had been a commercial banker for 30 years, one could wonder how much use he would be for technical support. :rolleyes:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:
jsburger wrote:

The control panel looks to be stock Nova, though the case is rearranged so the screen is below the controls, no doubt the motor and remote are also. One would have to wonder if the controls have been programed and tweaked for the Shopsmith like the Power Pro is.

https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova- ... -for-1624/
reible wrote:This guy use to be a traveling shopsmith sales person.... not sure if he is anymore???

Ed
I would suspect not. :eek: In his first video he said he had been a commercial banker for 30 years, one could wonder how much use he would be for technical support. :rolleyes:
Having seen a few of his you tube stuff I am not impressed with his wood working expertise.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Looks like the control board is outside the motor case, away from the heat of the motor. Any one that knows electronics knows heat is a killer for electronics.
Also the speed control looks like a simple pot easily replaceable by owner. Also requires less electronics to operate.
Be interesting to see the price. If he brings it in $500 lower than SS, I would say he has a winner.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Looks like the control board is outside the motor case, away from the heat of the motor. Any one that knows electronics knows heat is a killer for electronics.
Also the speed control looks like a simple pot easily replaceable by owner. Also requires less electronics to operate.
Be interesting to see the price. If he brings it in $500 lower than SS, I would say he has a winner.
From one of his answers onYoutube:
MarkwoodAcademy
1 day ago
Are you offering this for purchase? How about a URL?

FOR THE LOVE OF WOOD
1 day ago
Yes, it will cost $1,375 and will include the stop button and remote. This compares to the PowerPro's cost of $2,159. URL will be posted soon. I have a few tweeks to the website, such as adding this video, before I publish and can get a URL. The website will answer a lot of questions.
To be honest, I wish SS had done it this way. I am now having intermittent button response problems on the panel .... :rolleyes:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

A couple of observations. While this unit uses the same dvr motor as the Mark 7, it has a different sound. My Powerpro ia almost silent compared to this demo unit. Makes me wonder what internal parts remain that give it a most tradional mechanical headstock sound. My other observation is that I thought my Shopsmith band saws were noisy. They are quiet compared to his! All in all though, this may be a good way to go for those on a tight budget. I have seen these parts, or parts very similar, for sale online for a song!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Looks like the control board is outside the motor case, away from the heat of the motor. Any one that knows electronics knows heat is a killer for electronics.
My PP failed due to a failed power supply, not the control panel. Does not look like he has solved this issue.
Fred