Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by claimdude »

I couldn't tell that the sound was much different than my DIY PowerPro upgraded headstock. Both are much quieter than my old Mark V.

Jack
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

rjent wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Looks like the control board is outside the motor case, away from the heat of the motor. Any one that knows electronics knows heat is a killer for electronics.
Also the speed control looks like a simple pot easily replaceable by owner. Also requires less electronics to operate.
Be interesting to see the price. If he brings it in $500 lower than SS, I would say he has a winner.
From one of his answers onYoutube:
MarkwoodAcademy
1 day ago
Are you offering this for purchase? How about a URL?

FOR THE LOVE OF WOOD
1 day ago
Yes, it will cost $1,375 and will include the stop button and remote. This compares to the PowerPro's cost of $2,159. URL will be posted soon. I have a few tweeks to the website, such as adding this video, before I publish and can get a URL. The website will answer a lot of questions.
To be honest, I wish SS had done it this way. I am now having intermittent button response problems on the panel .... :rolleyes:

It sounds like he is on track. Price seems about right based on cost of equipment he must buy plus a very nice profit. Implementation seems to be better but only time will confirm or deny that. Not sure what he did/does on the inside but I like how he seems to be doing it. Again time will be the final verdict.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

He has the start of a web site up. Not going to post here, but it is in the comments of the Youtube video.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm waiting for the lawsuit.

However, other than being mounted in a Shopsmith carcass all it appears to be is the Nova hardware repackaged using devices available on the open market.

Then there is the software that makes the PowerPro unique. Features like automatic speed change when the load varies will set the PowerPro apart.

If I was tempted, even a little bit, I would buy the required assemblies and fit it into one of my own headstocks. Assuming of course that Teknatool sells outright to an end user.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Specs are up on his website. 50-5500 rpms is the biggest spec difference I see, which has advantages and disadvantages.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
rjent wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Looks like the control board is outside the motor case, away from the heat of the motor. Any one that knows electronics knows heat is a killer for electronics.
Also the speed control looks like a simple pot easily replaceable by owner. Also requires less electronics to operate.
Be interesting to see the price. If he brings it in $500 lower than SS, I would say he has a winner.
From one of his answers onYoutube:
MarkwoodAcademy
1 day ago
Are you offering this for purchase? How about a URL?

FOR THE LOVE OF WOOD
1 day ago
Yes, it will cost $1,375 and will include the stop button and remote. This compares to the PowerPro's cost of $2,159. URL will be posted soon. I have a few tweeks to the website, such as adding this video, before I publish and can get a URL. The website will answer a lot of questions.
To be honest, I wish SS had done it this way. I am now having intermittent button response problems on the panel .... :rolleyes:

It sounds like he is on track. Price seems about right based on cost of equipment he must buy plus a very nice profit. Implementation seems to be better but only time will confirm or deny that. Not sure what he did/does on the inside but I like how he seems to be doing it. Again time will be the final verdict.
Please tell us how you have come to that conclusion.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:Specs are up on his website. 50-5500 rpms is the biggest spec difference I see, which has advantages and disadvantages.
I always have wondered why SS did not go lower with the speed on the Power Pro. SS provides a new quill with the Power Pro. Better bearings to go to 10,000RPMs is my guess. Apparently his upgrade uses the original quill. Hence, 5500RPMs max. So it goes lower. Good for turners. But, it does not go higher which many have said is a problem with the SS for routing and shaping. I can get lower (100RPMs) with a speed reducer for much less money.

I am with Dusty and wondering about litigation. Probably not if he is using off the shelf items and his own software. We shall see.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

The Nova DVR upgrade mentioned earlier (thanks rpd) looks to be the same unit with the same spec's, including the speed. The only thing I can see that his has over the Nova is the stop button and possibly some mounting hardware. The Nova unit is available all over the internet for $675. If I had a spare headstock and the engineering ability, I would consider playing with the conversion at that price.
I think his idea is ingenious and wish him luck. I am pretty sure if someone on here thought of it first, everyone on the forum would be offering suggestions and supporting him. It is not often that aftermarket products are targeted specifically for Shopsmith.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Still a lot of unanswered questions even with the web site up.

Things I like are the lower speed range, I don't use my powerpro up at the higher speeds very often and if I didn't have it that would be fine with me. And for the machine I have set up as a drill press this would allow me to run big bits even slower.

In all cases the heat issue will have more to do with the power supply and that is likely still in the housing, having the control board else where well that is OK but still not as important as how the power supply is done. FIT rates for power supplies are always worse then other things in the system.

I also like the fact it has a remote control, I can see uses for that for a lot of the things I do when using the scroll saw for instance.

Now I'm a little dismayed by his price point to what he claims is = to the shopsmith prices. Shopsmith sells 4 versions, the total new one is $2,159.00, the refurbished one is $1,987.98 the one where your machine is reconditioned is $1,797.97 and this is basically what his offer is for and then the DIY is $1,689.00. We also know that they offer discounts at demos and if you have a military discount and get it at Lowes that is another 10% off. We also know shopsmith gives you a new quill at that price, now you may or may not already need one but that alone quill runs almost $175 so that along with what else is happening brings one to question his price point comparison.

Anyway it is interesting but I'm not in a rush.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]