Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by dusty »

I really don't know what to think about all of this. The specs for the competition are clearly different but there have been some explanations given to explain that. The difference in the specs may explain the difference in the price but I have some doubts about that. Shopsmith pricing practices, of late, cause me much concern. This concern is not new but $3.95/piece screws, washers and nuts have intensified that concern.

Now we are offered a headstock upgrade that would give us many of the characteristics of the PowerPro but at half the cost. If the controller and motor (supposedly the same motor) can be provided for <$700.00, what explains the price difference. Certainly not a couple better bearings and a new quill.

Is the higher speed range the final explanation for heat problems? I certainly hope now and I have some serious doubts. I find that hard to accept simply because I doubt that many users (who have reported overheat issues) are running at those top end speeds.

I sure would like to see some pictures of the innards of a reworks model.

Hopefully, Shopsmith is tasking note of all of this and doing some serious self evaluation.

As you can see, reading between the lines, I have serious doubts going in either direction. I really love my Shopsmith Model 510 (with 520 table rails and fence).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Looking at the photos on their website it doesn't look like it would be difficult at all to relocate the power supply outside the headstock. The price for the kit on their website is $549. The wireless controller is listed for $49.99. They also offer a 3hp version for $899.

http://striatech.mybigcommerce.com/
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I guess I have to spell it out. He has the price for a brand new powerpro and yes that is $2159.00 but he is not selling you a brand new machine it is refurbished and it is your machine so the price to compare is for the shopsmith equivalent at $1798.

Given the fact you may need a new quill on the old machine can then be added to his price if that is the case.

Then keep in mind the shopsmith price is list price not what they sell them for at places like Lowes. And also consider that Lowes has a military discount for those qualified so take another 10% off. So while looking at his information it looks a lot better then what it does when you look at the facts.

I'm kind of use to having the chart function, I don't see that as a big deal but one really needs to make up a chart to see what the differences are and how important they are to you, this is likely more of a deal for people who already have a powerpro and have a feel for it rather then someone new.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You know, Ed, that my time in the shop these days is spent tinkering rather than "building". You can probably conclude that at my age I am not likely to invest the cost of a new PowerPro (not even a DIY kit). I am content with what I have.

However, this entire thread intrigues me as does the concept. If I could get reliable information about the implementation, I would be tempted. Way back when, I began saving my pocket change for a PowerPro. I have almost enough rat holed to buy one now so I am tempted yet again. It would have to go in the Shorty, if at all, simply because I am attached to the original machine. It has been in the shop much too long to even consider such a change.

You commented earlier in this thread that this gentleman had been a Traveling Academy Instructor. What is his name. I thought I knew them all. I watched the posted videos but never saw his face.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Not a expert when it comes to electronics but why couldn't this be adapted to 10er? At 1.75 hp more then the std 1/2 or 3/4 hp. Seems like 56 frame motor mount is available. Put a 3 step pulley (not needed) and might fit? This is like what Skip offers?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BobCoates1953 wrote:Not a expert when it comes to electronics but why couldn't this be adapted to 10er? At 1.75 hp more then the std 1/2 or 3/4 hp. Seems like 56 frame motor mount is available. Put a 3 step pulley (not needed) and might fit? This is like what Skip offers?
Somewhat possible, but mounting and physical size may be problematic.

Skip offers DC motors, not DVR motors

Yes there is a huge difference between them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

BobCoates1953 wrote:Not a expert when it comes to electronics but why couldn't this be adapted to 10er? At 1.75 hp more then the std 1/2 or 3/4 hp. Seems like 56 frame motor mount is available. Put a 3 step pulley (not needed) and might fit? This is like what Skip offers?
No reason why it couldn't be, I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to get the lathe upgrade directly from Nova, you will need to fabricate a mounting plate either way.
https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova- ... -for-1624/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Not as simple as it sounds. One example: How do you plan to hang the motor? What about pulleys and belts?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
mlyoung
Bronze Member

Post by mlyoung »

Hello Forum Users, Its been years since I was on this forum, but with this alternative PowerPro thing popping up, totally out of the blue, I thought I'd pipe in.
This guy was a rep for a brief time, I believe he was eventually fired by SS. I never met him but saw his sales numbers and I know why he is looking for other avenues of income now. My overall thoughts: I would be very cautious moving forward with thinking about using this set-up.
Mike Young
mlyoung
Bronze Member

Post by mlyoung »

Don't forget that you can still use the speed decreaser on your PowerPro. I believe I was told that because of the gear ratios in the decreaser, when used on the PP your speed range is 30rpm-250rpm. Don't hold me to that, but I think it is accurate. How slow do you really need to go?
...and yes when I am at a Lowe's I offer financing, sale pricing, and Lowe's promotions too (i.e. military discounts, consumer account discounts).