Powerpro Competitor

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Powerpro Competitor

Post by dusty »

mlyoung wrote:Dusty,
I am definitely the lone wolf. From the 15 events on the SS event schedule, 11 are mine. That’s typical .
Mike
I do hope this is the way you want it. That has to be a grueling schedule to keep.

Best Wishes for the New Year. I'll be watching the tour schedule.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

procrastinator wrote:The "For The Love Of Wood" web site has a very interesting Powerpro alternative!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEbHGBGc5s
Can you say copyright infringement?
Last edited by beeg on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:
procrastinator wrote:The "For The Love Of Wood" web site has a very interesting Powerpro alternative!
Can you sat copyright infringement?
Band saw makes some 'interesting' noise. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:
beeg wrote:

About the same noise of all Shopsmith bandsaws that I have heard, including mine.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
JPG wrote:
beeg wrote:

About the same noise of all Shopsmith bandsaws that I have heard, including mine.
Your blades are skidding on the bearings. ;) Granted it is momentary. His seems far noisier than mine.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

The Powerpro unit looks cleaner, as if it was original, not retro fitted.
Last edited by jdonovan on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Very entertaining and informative discussions. Think this old man will stick with his MK Vs. We understand each other.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

This is my first post on this forum, but I have owned a Shopsmith for 2 decades now and before that used my Dad's Shopsmith. I have always been a fan of Shopsmith, but unfortunately my Shopsmith has collected dust in the intervening years as work and family took precedent for a while. I have recently started using it again and became aware of this forum. I have nothing but respect for the users of this forum and I am excited by some of the unique solutions I have seen members come up with, e.g. fixes to dust collection issues on the lower saw guard, sliding saw table, etc. I want to thank all of you for creating this great collection of advice and debate on many aspects of Shopsmith.

Having read the comments on this thread, I felt that I had to offer my 1.5 cents here. Like many of you, I have some concerns about the viability of Shopsmith. I continue to be a fan and supporter. A few years back when it looked like they were going out of business, I bought accessories that I needed and some that I didn't...just to make sure that I had everything should the unthinkable happen to them. I have been salivating over the PowerPro the past few years, but I just have not been able to pull the trigger for the following reasons:

1. It is just too expensive. The Striatech guts can be had for about a third of what Shopsmith wants. I have been unemployed all year since having a double bypass heart operation last year, so now I really can't afford it. If the DIY version from Shopsmith was maybe a grand then I could consider it, but it costs practically as much as a brand new PowerPro headstock now.

2. It "can" overheat (not to mention RFI/EMI issues). As an engineer, I understand the problems here so I am just not quite ready to jump on board with the PowerPro...not unless I have some backup controls for when it fails. Keeping my existing, lower power headstock should last the rest of my lifetime with routine maintenance.

3. I hate the controls. I know this might be my own quirk, but I hate membrane keypads. Tactile feel is not good and they often fail prematurely compared to other switch choices. Honestly, for the price of a PowerPro, I should get a decent size LCD screen with touchscreen control.

Does this PowerPro competitor solve all these issues? No, but at least someone is making an attempt. I know there will be legal challenges, but either way this alternative solution won't survive. The PowerPro has been out long enough that those who can afford it and want to switch have already done so. As a result, Shopsmith continues to hike the price of the PowerPro since its debut to maximize revenue on limited sales volume. I would guess that the number of people on the sidelines, like myself, are relatively few. I predict that he is selling to a niche of a niche market and before long will decide this isn't worth it. At least he made an attempt to address some of the weaknesses that I perceive of the PowerPro. Sorry my first post was kind of long, but just wanted to give an alternative viewpoint. I am looking forward to the future when we hopefully have a PowerPro Model 2 version and I can afford it then.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Welcome to the Forum and nice first post. I agree with all three of your points.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:Welcome to the Forum and nice first post. I agree with all three of your points.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝