First look "UJK Technology Cam & Wedge Clamping Set"

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

First look "UJK Technology Cam & Wedge Clamping Set"

Post by reible »

If you have been around the MFT style table tops with the 20mm holes on 96mm spacing it is likely that you have heard of UJK Technology as they have invested in various helpful tools that are related. For those of you who are not familiar now is a good time to at least have a look at this clamping system and how it works on the MFT type top.

The photos today were taken on the small top that I made that fits like an extension table on a shopsmith. This is fast becoming one of my most used tools.

What you get in the set is this:
c1sc.jpg
c1sc.jpg (339.67 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
The dogs in this case are called pups because they are shorter then normal dogs. The fit in the MFT style table like normal dogs as seen here:
c2sc.jpg
c2sc.jpg (383.73 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
One of the parts that comes with the kit is designed to fit over these pups as seen here:
c3sc.jpg
c3sc.jpg (377.71 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
You will notice that there is a "spare" hole, that allows the part to mount at a 45 deg. angle if that works better for you. A nice addition that I'm sure will come in handy. Here it is mounted in that configuration:
c10sc.jpg
c10sc.jpg (407.81 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
The concept is pretty simple, the bar with the two pups makes up one side of the clamp. The other side uses either or a combination of other parts, the one part is simply a rectangle while the other two are cut as wedges. The clamp is actually the part that looks a bit like a duck head.

To set up the other side of the clamp you add another pup to the table as seen here:
c4sc.jpg
c4sc.jpg (393.75 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
This is where the clamp(duck head) will attach. Of course you need to get the spacing figured out but with all the holes you have a lot of options. This is my guess for what I needed, lets see how that works out.
c5rsc.jpg
c5rsc.jpg (400.1 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
In this case I wanted to mount the work piece as shown:
c6sc.jpg
c6sc.jpg (317.72 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Now it just a matter of adding the spacers to fill up the space as seen here:
c7sc.jpg
c7sc.jpg (299.42 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Note the location of the ducks bill in this picture, it is in the loose position and using the wedge it snugs up. The clamping is then applied by turning the clamp. Now it tight:
c8rsc.jpg
c8rsc.jpg (318.73 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Of course you have the option of putting the clamp on the far side of the work piece or to go 90 degrees with the plane of the table and of course you can lay the work piece down as seen here:
c9rsc.jpg
c9rsc.jpg (392.65 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
I can say I'm impressed with how well this clamps. You would have no problem doing tasks like planing, sanding, drilling, routing and just about any other job.

Right now I'm wondering if I should have purchased two of these but before I put more money down I want to use them for a while.

TSO carries them, I ordered mine a while back and they just got a new supply in in late Feb. Not sure if they will selling out again like when they first showed up but if you are interested be aware it could happen again.

Got questions or comments??

I'm working on a slightly modified edition to allow more then the three directions of clamping but who knows when that will be ready for testing.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]