Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper Origin Question - where to see one in action???

Post by jsburger »

Shaper jut uploaded a new video on the work station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyFQtB ... ploademail
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Revising an old thread here...I saw a great video on IG today of an SO in action. I could definitely see the SO and Workstation being very handy for applications like this of creating hinge mortises for specialty hinges. In this video an "L" shaped mortise is needed to install this specialty hinge from Salice. It is a niche application for sure, but one that it does VERY well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSZ9q_PqQe5/
salice_hinges.jpg
salice_hinges.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There is yet another software update to the tool that just came out. I have installed it but have not had time to play with it. It just keeps getting better.

I just finished a sign for our grand cat, Greta.
greta.jpeg
greta.jpeg (204.22 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
Now just have to deliver it. I was going to do a cat like drawing but it looked to busy so went with plain. Lost the use of the sketchup plug-in for a couple of days so got behind on project. Belated birthday gift for owner now.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Ed, speaking of the new SO software, I have not figured out how to generate the red triangle in Sketchup or Fabber for precise SVG placement yet. Have you had any luck with it?

Steve
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I haven't gotten that far yet but I would not hold my breath on getting this working with the old plug in. I will give it a try just to see what the plug in does with a red triangle just because I have never tried it before and if I have any luck I will let you know.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:51 pm I haven't gotten that far yet but I would not hold my breath on getting this working with the old plug in. I will give it a try just to see what the plug in does with a red triangle just because I have never tried it before and if I have any luck I will let you know.

Ed

Is that not an on tool thing?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Plug-in can be used to generate a svg with a triangle you created in sketchup then used a program like affinity designer to change it to red. Did not take it to the machine but think that will work. I indented the triangle so it gets picked up by the plug-in. So perhaps shaper will not like that??

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I haven't done anything with this feature but I believe it uses the design file and when it finds the red triangle it then knows that it is a special thing and works off that.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I went ahead and gave my idea a try. The red triangle shows up on the svg but not on the shaper tool. I will play with this a bit more tomorrow. I think I just did a red fill and maybe I needed the line to be red also??? Or maybe I'm way off base on how I think this works.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I use Aspire as my fundamental drawing app along with Sketchup, the two have very good interoperability. I have always been able to make SVGs from it to satisfy the SO until now. When I create a red filled triangle and export it as a SVG it looks fine when viewed in the Chrome browser. But when downloaded to the SO the red triangle is changed to blue and is not recognized as a custom anchor. I really don't want to start using another app just for this issue so I guess I will just live without a custom anchor. In answer to John, you can not create the red triangle or change to a red color on tool.