Scroll Saw Tip

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Scroll Saw Tip

Post by berry »

I do a fair amount of scrolling. For years I've sprayed the back of the pattern with an adhesive, usually 3M 77. But I've always had issues with removing the patterns from the work. In end I'd end up brushing on mineral spirits and then cleaning the residual glue off the work.

I just got this tip from another site. Now, I cover the wood with Duck brand adhesive shelf liner (I got mine at HD) and glue my patterns to the liner. The patterns always stick to the liner and removing them when you finish cutting could not be easier.

I've been working on a wooden gear clock. I cut some of the gears with the patterns glued directly to the stock and some with the patterns glued to the shelf liner. Using the shelf liner is much better.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Scroll Saw Tip

Post by jsburger »

My wife covers the stock with 2" wide blue painters tape and uses the 3M spray adhesive to stick the pattern to the tape. She had the same problem as you gluing directly to the wood. Even using the spray glue that is repositionable.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Re: Scroll Saw Tip

Post by Lodgepole »

This what i just started using: http://www.stevedgood.com/dispenser.pdf It uses Walmart clear shelf paper.