SNT but what is it?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Re: SNT but what is it?

Post by STB »

reible wrote:Time for another SNT. It just arrived today so I will only show the box and the open box and let you have guess or two as to what it is.

$matches[2]

snt4a.jpg

I know this will be super easy for some of you but I don't think everyone will know what this is.

I have wanted one of these for 20-30 years, so now I have one. I have to wonder how well it will work on a backwards shopsmith but I'm sure going to give it a try.

Ed
I would be interested in how it works out for you. Please post results.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0dF4u0KyXA[/youtube]
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This thread is bound to get boring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I still remember the first time I saw one of these working, on metal of course and it looked so cool. Thinking back that was more like 50 years ago. I was working at a machine shop and while we didn't have or I guess need a lathe for this function(milling machines can do this too) they let us go to a tool show in Chicago where they had hours of machines to look at. This was one of the things that stood out for me.

I think as long as the cuts are very light it should work. I do wish that shopsmith had a better system but we shall see how it will work out. If it's a failure then at least it will have been fun to try, if it works then wow this will be a cool tool to own.

There are three diameter of cuts and three lengths. You can't go too deep, will check number out when I have time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

sehast wrote:I have that very same drill press for the Dremel but I had no idea it could be turned 90 degrees or is that another attachment to the original press?
Same here.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

sehast wrote:Man that is an expensive piece of aluminum from StewMac.
But really well made! :confused:
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
woodnut
Bronze Member

Post by woodnut »

reible wrote:Time for another SNT. It just arrived today so I will only show the box and the open box and let you have guess or two as to what it is.

$matches[2]

snt4a.jpg

I know this will be super easy for some of you but I don't think everyone will know what this is.

I have wanted one of these for 20-30 years, so now I have one. I have to wonder how well it will work on a backwards shopsmith but I'm sure going to give it a try.

Ed
Its a Criterion Boring Head and boring bars. Unless it has a Morris #2 taper to fit in the tail stock, you will have to build an adapter for the spindle.
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

That boring head has quite a bit of mass to it. Especially for a Shopsmith tail stock. The #2 Morse taper in the tail stock would be drastically short for something of that size and weight. Tapering of what you're trying to bore might be a problem. I like the concept though. Coming from a old lathe hand; it would be like adding an X axis cross slide (without the compound) to a Shopsmith.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

pcd7326 wrote:That boring head has quite a bit of mass to it. Especially for a Shopsmith tail stock. The #2 Morse taper in the tail stock would be drastically short for something of that size and weight. Tapering of what you're trying to bore might be a problem. I like the concept though. Coming from a old lathe hand; it would be like adding an X axis cross slide (without the compound) to a Shopsmith.
From an operator's viewpoint(headstock to the left, tail stock to the right, tooling between the operator and the headstock/tailstock axis) what direction is X,Y,Z? Old school fool question. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Just like a metal working lathe x runs down the length. Y is across the bed and Z is the vertical
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JPG wrote:From an operator's viewpoint(headstock to the left, tail stock to the right, tooling between the operator and the headstock/tailstock axis) what direction is X,Y,Z? Old school fool question. :D
The same on an engine lathe. Z axis would be from your left to your right (Z- to your left, Z+ to your right). X axis would be Forward moving directly away from you or towards you (X- away from your nose, X+ towards your nose), which is the complete opposite on a slant bed CNC. Y would be at any angle within 0 to 180 degrees of Z & X (the compound axis on an engine lathe).

So, with the boring head mounted in the tail stock, and dialing the head in one direction or another (+/- ) would be the equivalent of X axis (controlling the diameter of the bore). Z axis would simply be the carriage moving along the way tubes, or the quill being moved in or out. Y axis would not be possible with that setup. Now, if you had the Shopsmith universal lathe tool rest... Things could get interesting.
Last edited by Chad on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA