lathe duplicator

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

lathe duplicator

Post by Hobbyman2 »

any advise ? pro's con's ? new or used , any one made a auto feed duplicator for a SS ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Re: lathe duplicator

Post by algale »

Hobbyman2 wrote:any advise ? pro's con's ? new or used , any one made a auto feed duplicator for a SS ?
Bought one more or less on a whim, thinking I had numerous projects for it. It hasn't worked out that way. But, it definitely works and the cutter can be used without the duplicator for various turnings. I think Nick had a video up on the Sawdust Sessions showing it for boring a bowl.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks RPD ,yes it is exactly what I was looking for , I have a set of plans for a home build but unit using a sprocket and a all thread rod that would make it 10-1 ratio , just not sure about mounting the unit .also looks like a speed reducer would be a good idea .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Are there multiple models of the lathe duplicator? I'm assuming that the table portion goes on the carriage. So I'm also kind of assuming the current model is compatible with both 'pre-510' and '510-and-on' carriage sizes, and wondering how to tell on resale units.

- David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

DLB wrote:Are there multiple models of the lathe duplicator? I'm assuming that the table portion goes on the carriage. So I'm also kind of assuming the current model is compatible with both 'pre-510' and '510-and-on' carriage sizes, and wondering how to tell on resale units.

- David
Edited: 11/17/21

I think it is easier to say that the table posts have two ways to mount to the table. One is for the 500 and the other for the 510/520/M7. The 500 is done so there is 12" between the centers of the post holes. On the others the spacing is 15-1/2". The table support will hang over the table on the out feed side.

For the 500 the rack teeth are facing the head stock. For the others the rack teeth are facing away from the head stock.

Hope this clears this up.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
crvelezjr
Bronze Member

Post by crvelezjr »

Ed - can you be more specific? I didn't understand "...one of the legs is reversed and mounts facing out."
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I revised the reply above in hopes of making it more clear. I can see how what I wrote was unclear. I don't have easy access to my table right now but I can dig up the manual if pictures would help.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

crvelezjr,

Let's see if I can help clear this up for you. The work table for the Lathe Duplicator has multiple mounting holes and depending on which Mark V model you have determines which mounting holes to use. As already stated the table posts are wider apart for the 505, 510, 520 and Mark 7. Also the gear teeth for the original Mark 5/V's aka 500 table posts face the headstock while the gear teeth face away from the headstock on the 505, 510, 520 and Mark 7 table posts. The multiple mounting holes for the work table posts allows the Lathe Duplicator work table to be used with either carriage (500 or all other models). Keep in mind it is the carriage and table/fence systems that make the difference between the models.

The Lathe Duplicator can be used with all Mark 5/V models going back to their introduction in 1954, the current Mark 7 and likely the 1960's Mark VII.

I do not know if it can be used on the shorter new Mark 4 because of the width of the work table which may extend beyond the way tubes covering the tailstock mounting holes. The information on the Mark 4 in the online catalog says it is a 34" lathe the same as a Mark V or 7 but that cannot be true.

EDIT: 11/20/21 09:34

Additional information - yesterday while in the shop I was thinking about this so I did some measuring. The table for the Lathe Duplicator measures 14-1/2" wide and 18-3/4" deep. Even with the Mark 4 being about a foot and a half shorter than the Mark V and 7 it should be able to use a Lathe Duplicator on it. The Lathe capacity length should be about half of the Mark V and 7. The diameter capacity would be the same.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
crvelezjr
Bronze Member

Post by crvelezjr »

Thank you Ed and Russ. You've been very helpful.