Double Tilt Base for Shopsmith

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Double Tilt Base for Shopsmith

Post by DLB »

While I had some issues with the main table portion of the Double Tilt (DT) Upgrade, documented in its own thread, I appreciate and am enjoying the convenience and versatility of the Base portion of the modification. I do a lot of tinkering and sometimes want to change configurations by replacing, adding, removing, or reversing a table carriage to either side of the headstock. An example: Though I have not done the main table part of this yet, I can still utilize the under-table capability. Instead of reversing the table in the carriage, I reverse the carriage on the way tubes. Not perfect, but completely usable. (Reversing the carriage puts the table further from the headstock than it would be otherwise. I make up some of this be taking out the rubber spacer, and the rest utilizing the quill.)

IMO, one of the benefits to the DT Base is the elimination of variability in how well, and how simply, the left Accessory Mount is aligned to the rest of the Mark, and how well that alignment is maintained. The left Accessory Mount is now connected directly to the way tubes, rather than indirectly through the bench tubes. This does, however, introduce the one negative aspect of the DT Base I've noted: If you normally leave a SPT on the left mount when you go to drill press mode, this is no longer possible.

The new DT Base is a fairly simple set of changes to the most recent version of Base and Base Arm. Since I removed a Base and Base Arm in making the change, I decided to see if I could make a working similar DT Base. I did this and put it on my shorty. While not quite as elegant as the factory version (those double start threads again) I like it better than some of the 'pull the pin' versions I've seen on youtube. I'll show this in an update to this thread.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Double Tilt Base for Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Now there's some striking similarity. I was thinking the older style Base would be easier, now think I was wrong. Did you have to remove the roll pin so the 'hinge pin' could rotate? I used similar technology, drilling and tapping the pin, on one end and relocated an "E" clip on the other. I was originally going to use an older style Base, but I had conflicting bench tube diameters.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since the second version does not require removal of the hinge pin, the retaining pin need not be removed either. Neither requires the hinge pin to rotate.

Full disclosure - I have not been using this. The post is to document my experimenting. I do fully intend to use this soon when I finish refurbing my early 510. I say soon, but tis on a back burner at present. Waaaaay back!!!!

I drilled/tapped the hinge pin for the earlier version.(required for pull ring). The original roll pin would be adequate for the second version.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Alder3450Pt2
Bronze Member

Re: Mark V table carriage upgrade

Post by Alder3450Pt2 »

My Mark V was built in 1958. I want to upgrade the table carriage with the 500/510 version. Will it fit? I see several on ebay.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Yes, the 510 carriage will fit, BUT you'll ll have to replace the table assembly.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If you are just looking to have the crank wheel on the carriage instead of the lever arm JPG provided illustrated instructions here:
Installing 505/10/20 Crank on 500 Table Lift.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

You also need to replace the saw arbors and sanding disk mounts and to take advantage of the whole system you need the fence and extension tables and tubes and legs....... check the shopsmith page for what comes in the kit to go from a 500 to a 510........ and then think about going to the 520 version instead.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Alder3450Pt2,

You asked
My Mark V was built in 1958. I want to upgrade the table carriage with the 500/510 version. Will it fit? I see several on ebay.
To be clear there is not a single table carriage that is both a Mark V 500 and 510. They are different carriages and use different related parts. The 510, 505, 520 and Mark 7 carriage is for the larger table systems of those models and cannot be used with the original table system of the Mark 5 aka Mark V 500. It is the table system that determines if you have a Mark V 500, 505, 510 or 520. Many of the parts of the 505, 510 and 520 are the same.

As Ed said consider going to the 520 upgrade instead. Since the Mark V 510 has now been discontinued at some point so will replacement parts specific to the 510 and 505 models. This would be mainly the fence tubes and fence.

Ed said,
check the shopsmith page for what comes in the kit to go from a 500 to a 510
The 500 to 510 upgrade is no longer available new from Shopsmith and the page is no longer available online.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ceridwen112
Bronze Member

Post by ceridwen112 »

thank you
Last edited by ceridwen112 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.