Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Post by algale »

baburao wrote:I just have the more seasoned cast iron table and I truly haven't utilized it enough to frame an assessment, yet I'd prefer to hear what others need to state. Apparently, overhauling from it to the aluminum table is as yet an open alternative.
This question is frequently asked. Each has some relative advantages and disadvantages. Aluminum larger and lighter but must remove to go vertical. Cast iron smaller and heavier but can be left in place to go vertical. You can add a rip fence to the aluminum table for $$$. Cast iron can use the miter gauge as a rip fence at no additional cost. On balance, I don't think it is worth upgrading.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I have two cast iron tabled bandsaws and for storage the limit of closeness is the table. If I had the larger aluminum tables I'd need more space on my SPT shelf.
Attachments
20200619_201150.jpg
20200619_201150.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 2403 times
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

IMG_1320.jpeg
IMG_1320.jpeg (567.77 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
I had the cast iron for years and have recently acquired another bandsaw with the aluminum table.
I use the the cast iron one with a 5/8" blade for resawing and use the aluminum with a 1/4" blade for curves and such.
I have no fence for my aluminum table.
I use a miter gauge and extension with a piece of straight composite flooring for a fence. It works great!
I still prefer the cast iron over the "upgrade".
Dan
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dan,

I notice you have an Irwin Quick Clamp holding the end of the Miter Gauge Bar. Do you have a problem with it trying to lift up out of the slot?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Rus:
no, not lifting out. I use the clamp to keep it from sliding forward or back.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

AEA wrote:Rus:
no, not lifting out. I use the clamp to keep it from sliding forward or back.
The set screw in the middle of the miter bar is tapered, if you tighten it, it will make the bar wider and lock it in the slot.

edit, actually the setscrew is straight, the hole is tapered.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Russ,
Oh good grief, thanks. That will certainly help when I do wider stuff.
Of course I feel a bit silly, I guess I need another lesson in humility. :)
Thanks,
Dan
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dan,

Don't feel bad. We all have to learn these things somewhere. Thanks to Ron for this one. I still find things out about these tools that I have missed before or just plain forgot. :eek:
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Thanks Ron,
I usually have a screwdriver with me (leatherman). I have to go get a squeeze clamp.
Much handier all the way around.