Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Post by algale »

Try that with the bandsaw, Dusty, as opposed to the beltsander! Results, I expect, will vary dramatically.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:Readjust the eccentrics so as to move the bandsaw (to the left) away from the headstock end. If a remember correctly thiswill be 180 degree rotation of the eccentrics. Before you call that done, make sure that the hub still lines up laterally.

Just to help you become a believer I attached a couple very fresh photos even though it is 110 degrees in the shop. Have faith man. I try not to mislead anyone.

20200721_150139.jpg20200721_150152.jpg20200721_150223.jpg
:confused: :confused: :confused: Your pictures show a belt sander not a band saw.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

With Double Tilt this issue goes away. You can't raise it with any kind of BS, or other SPT, on there. :D

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:Readjust the eccentrics so as to move the bandsaw (to the left) away from the headstock end. If a remember correctly thiswill be 180 degree rotation of the eccentrics. Before you call that done, make sure that the hub still lines up laterally.

Just to help you become a believer I attached a couple very fresh photos even though it is 110 degrees in the shop. Have faith man. I try not to mislead anyone.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Your pictures show a belt sander not a band saw.
You're not confused. I am, obviously. Now I have to mount the bandsaw to see for myself. I have my bandsaw mounted on a Power Stand. Maybe, just maybe this is why.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

No maybe about it. I have not yet been able to move the bandsaw to the 520 but I did pull Sketchup drawings together. If my drawings are accurate, there is about a 1" interference between the tie rod and the edge of the bandsaw table (when horizontal).

I stand corrected in all that I have declared regarding this subject.

Yes, it appears that tilting the bandsaw table 'might' provide the needed clearance.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:

You're not confused. I am, obviously. Now I have to mount the bandsaw to see for myself. I have my bandsaw mounted on a Power Stand. Maybe, just maybe this is why.
I very early mounted my BS on a power stand because I used it so much. That was about 1995/6. SS 510 brand new was bought in 1994 with the band saw and jointer from Woodcraft. As I remember, before the power stand, I had to tilt the table to go vertical.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Methinks I will not have to 'experiment' after all! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I very early mounted my BS on a power stand because I used it so much. That was about 1995/6. SS 510 brand new was bought in 1994 with the band saw and jointer from Woodcraft. As I remember, before the power stand, I had to tilt the table to go vertical.
I have not yet moved the bandsaw to the 510/520 but I know what I am going to relearn. The bandsaw table will interfere with going vertical. Big fubar on me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote: I have not yet moved the bandsaw to the 510/520 but I know what I am going to relearn. The bandsaw table will interfere with going vertical. Big fubar on me.
We all make mistakes. Glad this one is cleared up.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:FWIW I have two aluminum table bandsaws.

I recently purchased a Cast iron table and intend to swap one out.

Then I will be able to compare.

One advantage of the CI table is you can leave the bandsaw mounted and still raise to vertical with the original SPT posts.
What do you define as the original posts. The posts that came with my original bandsaw allow me to go vertical without removing the bandsaw. I bought that bandsaw in the early nineties.

Eccentric_Short.jpg

My understanding is the eccentric tubes Dusty shows were shipped with all bandsaws and are to be used to adjust the band saw right or left ( front or back) so the drive hub lines up with Shopsmith power head. When I installed my bandsaw the instruction manual detailed the procedure to do this my bandsaw if I remember correctly was about a 1/8 inch to far to right or back and I had to loosen and and turn each post until the drive hub of the bandsaw lined up with head stock drive.

When Shopsmith came out with the aluminum table they also came out shortly after with mount tubes the were cut in half and a bar of strap steel added to offset the bandsaw further off the machine so the way tubes could be raised.