Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Post by JPG »

To clear up some 'stuff' that is contained in this thread.

Dusty's drawing of the mounting tubes were of a length that the jointer tubes have. The bandsaw tubes are much longer.

The wobbly off set mounts consist of two round bar stock and a thin flat bar stock separator(each). The wobbly can be significantly reduced by using a beefier flat bat stock(think 1/2" thick).

I think the matter of which is better is defined by personal preference and one's typical tasks that it needs to perform.

BTW anyone who never makes a mistake is not doing anything. To err is human. We simply ain't an example of our maker's perfection. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

WOW, a lot of discussion since I posted yesterday. So here is my two cents worth. I had tried this in the past to check the Aluminum Table clearance. At that time I tried with my Aluminum Table Band Saw on my Mark V 520 to tilt into Drill Press position. It worked, just barely clearing, without the fence bracket on the Aluminum Band Saw Table but would not clear with the fence bracket in place. That Band Saw has the standard offset posts it came with. Of note my 1956 Band Saw has straight posts which, as shown in the manual, was standard.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Dichren
Bronze Member

Post by Dichren »

I also prefer the old style table since that is what I'm the most comfortable with.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:To clear up some 'stuff' that is contained in this thread.

Dusty's drawing of the mounting tubes were of a length that the jointer tubes have. The bandsaw tubes are much longer.

The wobbly off set mounts consist of two round bar stock and a thin flat bar stock separator(each). The wobbly can be significantly reduced by using a beefier flat bat stock(think 1/2" thick).

I think the matter of which is better is defined by personal preference and one's typical tasks that it needs to perform.

BTW anyone who never makes a mistake is not doing anything. To err is human. We simply ain't an example of our maker's perfection. :D
Yes, the tubes are longer but what difference does that make. The amount of offset is the same AND the need to vertically align the hubs prevents one from utilizing that height difference to solve this issue.

I am working on a possible solution for me even though my shop setup has (for years) allowed me to avoid the issue. My badsaws are mounted on Power Stand and Power Station.

This is NOT what I am contemplating but if the Way Tubes were 1/2" shorter there would be no clearance problem. The issue (if there would be one) would be that the tie bar could not be locked down when horizontal. That would be totally unacceptable for me.

One could also create the needed clearance by NOT inserting the Bench Tubes quit as far into the castings. I think this is why some of us experience differing degrees on non-clearance. We have not all assembled the machine the same. It appears to me at this point in time that the issue is the matter of something <1/2".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="dusty" . . . The issue (if there would be one) would be that the tie bar could not be locked down when horizontal. That would be totally unacceptable for me.
. . .
[/quote]

Says he whom has been pictorially documented to at least once forgotten to lower the clamp handle for an undetermined period of time a few years ago.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

At this point, this is most probably a lost cause. Not being intelligent enough to listen to others, I decided to prove my point. The Bandsaw, when mountedr in accordance with the intsructions onto a 510/520 that has been built an assembled in accordance with those same manufacturers instructions can be placed into the vertical drill press mode. Yes it can! But...not without an awful lot of extra (and undocumented) effort.

This photo shot very clearly and unarguably documents my final understanding of the situation. Please note that I have even taken the rip fence lock rail off of the bandsaw table. Even then, there is NO CLEARANCE and it is not just a fraction of an inch.
NO CLEARANCE with the Bandsaw mounted on the Headrest casting.
NO CLEARANCE with the Bandsaw mounted on the Headrest casting.
20200723_073110.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6523 times
This could easily be changed with a design modification but, obviously, we are beyond that point in time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I thought that was why the Eccentric Mounts were made as an option? :confused:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... gtubes.htm
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

thunderbirdbat wrote:I thought that was why the Eccentric Mounts were made as an option? :confused:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... gtubes.htm
You are absolutely right and they work BUT they are also flexible. The Bandsaw vibrates when they are used. In my opinion, they are not worth the postage. I do not recommend them for reason stated.

Using the other eccentrics by no means eliminates the vibration but nearly.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes that is their purpose.

The steel bar stock is simply too thin for the task. The result is a wobbly spring board effect.

I modified a set by replacing the bar with one 5/8" thick. That reduced the effect greatly to a tolerable degree.

If I can locate the thread I will link to it.

No thread, but maybe a pix.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 99#p179399
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

baburao
Bronze Member

Post by baburao »

I just have the more seasoned cast iron table and I truly haven't utilized it enough to frame an assessment, yet I'd prefer to hear what others need to state. Apparently, overhauling from it to the aluminum table is as yet an open alternative.
[url=adobezii.online/]adobe[url]