Veritas Compact Router Base Plate

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Veritas Compact Router Base Plate

Post by reible »

As some of you may recall I purchased a Dewalt battery compact router this year to go along with the corded one I already had.

There were two minor issues that have been bugging me with both routers when used with the fixed base. For most thing the small base plate is great and does the job. But sometimes I wish it were a bit larger so it was more stable.

The second is is that while the plunge base with take router guides the fixed base does not.
rtn3.jpg
rtn3.jpg (111.97 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
Again this is a minor issue.

LeeValley has a Veritas Compact Router Base for several of the compact routers and this included one for my Dewalt. You can check out what they have here:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... em=05H0180

I got one of these a couple of months back and while it filled the two needs I had in mind I had to spring for the handles, a costly option but makes the router more rounded it is uses and feels great in your hands. They are pictured lower down on the same page.

This is the pair of routers with the stock bases attached and you can see the new base plate with handles setting in front:
rtn1l.jpg
rtn1l.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
There are 4 screws to the removal and adding and as you can see the pc style guide bushings fit fine:
rtn2l.jpg
rtn2l.jpg (147.42 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
The fixed and plunge bases are interchangeable so it is now an even more flexible arrangement.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Veritas Compact Router Base Plate

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I love my DW611 corded router! How does the cordless version compare? I normally have a dust hose attached to my DW611 when I’m using it, so I’m not sure that getting rid of the power cord would be of much benefit to me.

The bigger base with the handles looks pretty cool. I mostly use the plunge base, and haven’t noticed a tippiness issue so far, but I’m definitely going to keep that accessory in mind.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I don't have dust collection for the fixed base so battery or corded make a mess. But sometimes it just nice to not have a cord to have to deal with, like making circles or other places where the cord tends to get twisted.

I mostly use these routers for doing small round overs or bevel cuts and the in some cases the wider base is just more stable and lets me work faster without worry of tipping and damaging an edge or making more work for myself having to sand to blend.

I do have a smaller trim sort of routers but I really like the Dewalt's and especially the option of the plunge base. I was on panel for some years with a couple of companies and one thing I lobbied for was a smaller router with plunge base, finally got my wish when Porter Cable and Dewalt came out with these compact routers with the plunge.

Do you have dust collection on your fixed base?

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote: Do you have dust collection on your fixed base?

Ed
I do. I find its effectiveness is pretty comparable to the one on the plunge base. That is, it works very well on interior cuts, and it's pretty much worthless on edge cuts. It does significantly block your view of the router bit, though, so I find it works best for guided cuts such as grooving.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Do you have dust collection on your fixed base?

Ed
Ed,

Doesn't the DeWalt DCW600B compact router have a dust collection accessory that fits on the fixed base? I believe it is part number DNP615 (https://www.dewalt.com/products/accesso ... ase/dnp615). I don't know if it comes standard with the router, or if you have to purchase it separately. I bought the Milwaukee version and it came with the dust port you can see below. The 36mm Festool hose fits it perfectly and I just loop the hose over my shoulder while working. It isn't as convenient as using the router without dust collection, but here in PHX it is too hot for me to work in the driveway for about half the year so I need dust collection.

I didn't even know that Lee Valley made acryllic base plates for compact routers. Unfortunately they don't have one for Milwaukee, but guess I could get the blank plate from them and modify it. Very cool that it lets you do template routing with their base, but I just don't know how much I would use it though. I only intended to use my cordless router for doing chamfers and roundovers, or edge trimming of laminate...
IMG_5068.jpg
IMG_5068.jpg (107.78 KiB) Viewed 6330 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All three have one thing in common.

The question was addressed to a single individual.

Only that individual can provide an answer.

Unless that individual actually reads the question there will never be a reply.

I suggest that if getting an answer is imperative that you go the PM route. No guarantees there either, but more likely to get an answer.

However that leaves the rest of us out of the loop. Maybe suggest answering in the original thread?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yes they do have dust extractor hoods, the fixed base has a different one then the plunge base. I have one attached to each one and another waiting for the next fixed base to get here. They said today but it getting kind of late now??

So the port kind of fits the hose but not real well. I did find an adapter, Bosch I think that makes a better connection. If anyone needs the part number I can look it up.
rouft1.jpg
rouft1.jpg (195.88 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
rouft2.jpg
rouft2.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
Now if I could just find the time to use this setup on a couple of out standing projects.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This will no doubt get lost in time but for completeness here are the attachments to get dust collection on the Dewalt router shown.

The fixed base:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A ... UTF8&psc=1

Today's price is $15.01

The plunge base:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A ... UTF8&psc=1

Today's price is $16.25

The Bosch adapter I'm liking is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

Today's price is $4.99

Ed