woodpecker tools

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: woodpecker tools

Post by Hobbyman2 »

One tool they make that I do like is their 8" saddle square. https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-Sadd ... ooghydr-20
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

I guess it all depends. Just how much can you afford to spend on tools used exclusively for a task that demands no more than 1/32" accuracy.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

You know we all use our tools differently and all view the tools value differently, or at least that is what I think.

I don't use some of my tools for every day sort of things, I keep them as reference tools. This is what I learned when I worked in a machine shop. The guys who did tool setups and testing had way nicer tools then the operators did. Like the other day when I got a new combo square, I wanted to see how well it was going to work. I got out the tool that was them most accurate that I own and used that as a reference. Satisfied that the new tool was at least at that time accurate enough for everyday use I moved on and will use it rather then bringing out the expensive square for every little thing.

You as woodworkers should have at least a few tools that are accurate. A good straight edge, and a good square and minimal. It helps if one or more of those have some sort of accurate scale as well. As a general rule of thumb an order of magnitude better is a good starting place. As an example if you want to measure something to .001" the tools should be able to read to .0001". Of course at some point things like your own skill level takes over and all this goes out the window.

Anyway, I have no problem spend money on quality tools as you will know by now from reading my posts. I also have no problem saving money by getting tools suitable for the job. I'd much rather drop a $7 square then a $100 one while working out on my driveway.....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

very well said Ed , I have one of these that I bought years ago , it makes setting up , even the least expensive tools much easier , you can check rulers for straightness , squares for accuracy and etc regardless of cost ,, https://www.wttool.com/index/page/produ ... _MEALw_wcB ,,, If when I get a tool that can not be made accurate it usually goes in file 13 or turned into something of use . I can see , and appreciate where some lay out tools offer some creature comforts that others may not .
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

We all agree - sort of. My best tools are those that I can feel confident to use for the job at hand. I don't use my Stanley square for Shopsmith set up. I use an Engineers Square and a dial indicator. I would match my machine's accuracy with any of you who are using more expensive tools. I use my Stanley square for rough construction jobs like framing. My walls are as plump and straight as I need them to be. A simple plumb bob and Stanley square were a predominant tools used to get there. No laser beams required.

That is my two-bits worth.
DillyDilly
Bronze Member

Post by DillyDilly »

Hey guys
I love the few Woodpecker tools I have.
Precision Triangle Set
12" Edge Rule
Mini Square
Steel Straight Edge 24" <-- Wish it was Stainless, I mistakenly
Thought it was looking at the name "SSE 24" threw me off. Lol.
Gotta clean and wax it periodically.
My Favorite Frivolous tool is my Jessem Wood Sabre!
The most overly precise wood working tool ever!
That tool is so Over Eniginerded, I love it.
My wife bought me one... Right after I did, so now I have 2.
Quality problems.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DillyDilly wrote:Hey guys
I love the few Woodpecker tools I have.
Precision Triangle Set
12" Edge Rule
Mini Square
Steel Straight Edge 24" <-- Wish it was Stainless, I mistakenly
Thought it was looking at the name "SSE 24" threw me off. Lol.
Gotta clean and wax it periodically.
My Favorite Frivolous tool is my Jessem Wood Sabre!
The most overly precise wood working tool ever!
That tool is so Over Eniginerded,
I love it.
My wife bought me one... Right after I did, so now I have 2.
Quality problems.
I also received the Jessem Wood Sabre as a gift, but haven't used it much yet...still fitting it into my workflow. I agree it is well engineered and I have not been disappointed yet with any tool made by Jessem. Unlike Jessem, Woodpeckers makes A LOT of tools, so I have a few other Woodpecker tools that I own that I didn't name before, but I just haven't found them to be as useful as their 12" square that I use all the time. So, I am not disappointed with these other tools, but clearly some of their tools are better values than others - at least for me anyway. For straight edge, I have the Veritas 24" steel one. It was cheaper than the Woodpecker ones and fine for my use in setup and alignment, etc. I am sure the Woodpecker straight edges are very nice though...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I just have a tough time wrapping my brain around the cost, you would think a cnc machine would bring cost down ,less labor involved , not increase it ? JMO,, I picked up a used starrett 6in tri square at a flea market a week or so ago for 5 bks . a new one is closer to 70-80 .
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I just have a tough time wrapping my brain around the cost, you would think a cnc machine would bring cost down ,less labor involved , not increase it ? JMO,, I picked up a used starrett 6in tri square at a flea market a week or so ago for 5 bks . a new one is closer to 70-80 .
"economy of scale" The more you make the less each costs. There are fixed costs that must be spread over the entire production run. Then there is the material costs that are less for each unit if bulk purchase is made of the raw materials.

Wood peckers has relatively small runs.

Starrett tools you (usually) are paying for the quality/accuracy that they are known for. At least that is true for machine shop products. Pocket tape measures etc. not so much.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Not a tool, but I feel the Woodpecker Knob Its and Knob It Minis are a great value. These are knobs without nuts nor bolts in them, you add your own. Size are 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8; the Minis are only 1/4. They are well made IMHO, much heavier than most other knobs, and "feel" better than most generic knobs. Just this past weekend, I used two of the Minis and 1" (I think) bolts on a dowel jig.

I also have a few of their BladeSavers, a great way to protect and hold saw blades.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: