Shopsmith Nova G3 chuck or alternative?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Nova G3 chuck or alternative?

Post by edma194 »

I'm planning on surprising myself with a lathe chuck for Christmas this year. No idea what the practical alternatives are.

So what do you guys think is the way to go? Is the SS Nova G3 package worth the money? Has something better worked out for anyone? What kind of avantages/disadvantages have you found with the Nova or other chucks?

I have only used faceplates and screw chucks for turning wood before so I have nothing to compare to. My plans are to turn some bowls and other items but I also want to be able to chuck up a chunk of wood quickly to turn a knob or small handle.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Nova G3 chuck or alternative?

Post by Mike907 »

Here's a previous thread on this topic:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... ck#p270536

If you increase the amount of turning that you do, you will probably buy more chucks, because it is easier and faster to change chucks than it it is to change jaws, and you will eventually want to do that. Easy Wood makes a chuck with quick change jaws, but it is about twice the price of the Nova or Oneway and there is no Shopsmith adapter for it. You could use it with a 5/8" to 1"-8 adapter, instead.

Mike
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Mike907 wrote:Here's a previous thread on this topic:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... ck#p270536

If you increase the amount of turning that you do, you will probably buy more chucks, because it is easier and faster to change chucks than it it is to change jaws, and you will eventually want to do that. Easy Wood makes a chuck with quick change jaws, but it is about twice the price of the Nova or Oneway and there is no Shopsmith adapter for it. You could use it with a 5/8" to 1"-8 adapter, instead.

Mike
The other thread mentions Oneway chucks and those seem comparable to the Nova G3. There was a mention of a loose adapter on another brand, that's the kind of thing I really want to avoid.

Multiple chucks is something I hadn't considered. That could get expensive fast. I have a feeling I'd need at least 2 with one always available for those quick little turned pieces.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Been looking at chuck options on-line and guess I've opened up a can o' worms for myself. And I didn't have plans to go fishing either. There are a lot of choices out there in same price range as the Nova G3 from Shopsmith, including the Nova G3 from Amazon. I'm not gonna spend a lot more than that for my first lathe chuck, and I see a couple of choices that would cost less but with fewer jaw options.

If I'm heading toward a future of multiple chucks, and that's not clear yet, I may not be that enchanted with turning big bowls after I do a couple, but if I keep going then multiple chucks make sense and I'll need to find an economical chuck to use.

Not sure how a lathe spindle adapter can not work. The chucks made for 1" X 8TPI should all fit the same threaded spindles. If an adapter works for one it should work for any as long as that's the real thread spec.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the Shopsmith Nova G3 package as a starter. Just seems safe.
Ed from Rhode Island

RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

One of the pluses for the Nova chuck is that any jaws you might choose to purchase for the G3 are compatible with any model Nova chuck. This is not necessarily true for other brands of chucks
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

If you chose to buy a different chuck be sure it is a reversible chuck , I have a barracuda and it is not reversible !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:13 pm If you chose to buy a different chuck be sure it is a reversible chuck , I have a barracuda and it is not reversible !
Which brings up a good question, is the Nova reversible with the Shopsmith adapter? Is there anything else that makes a chuck reversible besides a lock on the screw mount? I have the PowerPro so reverse is an option, although I'm not sure what to do with it when turning.
Ed from Rhode Island

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

as far as I know it is the set screw that makes it reversible . the Barracuda does not have the locking set screw . it did come with several different sets of jaws including the pen jaw.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For small stuff, the screw center works well as does the (gasp) drill chuck. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:22 pm For small stuff, the screw center works well as does the (gasp) drill chuck. :)
The screw center is fine for spindles, and the drill chuck is fine for small things.

I've been wanting to turn larger items since I got my first Shopsmith 25 years ago. Who knows if I'll be any good at it or enjoy doing it, but life is going by and I don't want to wait any longer.

Lacking any more info I think the Shopsmith package is the way to start. If this turns into something and I need more chucks I'll have the Nova G3 to compare to as a baseline.
Ed from Rhode Island