Shopsmith Nova G3 chuck or alternative?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Nova G3 chuck or alternative?

Post by JPG »

Screw center will work for small stuff (knobs...)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I think you will be happy with the Nova, the package seems like a good deal.

You can look here to see if there is a woodturning club in your area. They are probably having virtual meetings, but might be able to suggest someone to help you in person getting started with bowl turning. My local club is about to start socially distanced hands-on classes.

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/A ... nects.aspx

Mike
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Mike907 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:15 pm I think you will be happy with the Nova, the package seems like a good deal.

You can look here to see if there is a woodturning club in your area. They are probably having virtual meetings, but might be able to suggest someone to help you in person getting started with bowl turning. My local club is about to start socially distanced hands-on classes.

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/A ... nects.aspx

Mike
Thanks! There is a local club, I'm going to contact them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Jd1a
Bronze Member

Post by Jd1a »

I bought a Nova G3 annavirsary package with the Shopsmith insert. I then bought a G3 with single jaw and found a 1"8 tpi adapter to use the G3 on the Shopsmith. Two chucks with two adapters, works well
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Santa delivered the Nova G3 chuck from Shopsmith. Have to find something to do with this now. It's a nice looking and weighty piece. Before I do anything I have to get my lathe chisels sharp too. Too much to do in not enough time but I have to find some time for this.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
psikes
Gold Member

Post by psikes »

I recently ordered the G3 and ended up receiving the SuperNova2. A note indicated that this was a supplier change, not Shopsmith. I have not had a chance to use it quite yet, getting a little cool in the garage. I have been reading all of the literature and watched several videos on turning and using the SuperNova. Overkill for my needs right now but I wasn't going to turn it down either. Maybe someday a bigger lathe is coming my way!

Phil
BlackieSmith
Gold Member

Post by BlackieSmith »

I just received a G3, nice chuck and workmanship. The SS adapter is 5/8” x 1 1/2”x 8 tpi. Not an oddball thread but not common either if you intend to use the adapter with other chucks.
Here is a video of no chuck bowl turning...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMbjpQOLtM

Also search for jamb and doughnut chucks. You can turn bowls without a chuck but not as easy.