Covering machine

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Pcinoregon
Silver Member

Covering machine

Post by Pcinoregon »

What do you guys cover your machine with? I live in Oregon and it's very damp. if I put a cloth sheet over my machine but the moisture wicks on it. If I put plastic, moisture will build up underneath so what do you guys use to cover your machine with?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Covering machine

Post by chapmanruss »

I have Shopsmith covers for my 3 Mark series and all SPT tools. My Model 10ER and my Model 10E are stored under canvas covers. One is an original Model 10 canvas cover and the other I made. All are kept in my Garage/Shop which is insulated but un-heated. I have not had any rust problems and they stay clean when not in use. It is important to keep them protected by waxing too. I also live here in Oregon.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Covering machine

Post by robinson46176 »

I cover mine with dust. :) I do drop cloth covers over sewing equipment. The sewing stuff will soon be moving out to another shop.
There really isn't much dust and the shop is both heated and cooled. It is a basement shop and large enough (36' X 40' + plus a small separate closed room) that I think that most dust has time to settle out before it travels far. A simple 2 HP collector does quite well. I have always been a little surprised at how little dust ever works its way upstairs even though the stairway is open. Most of the upstairs dust tends to be farm dust coming in during mild weather in spring and fall when neither the heat nor the AC is in use and a few windows are open. Fall harvest season is really dusty some years.
One factor may be that I no longer move fast enough to stir up much dust. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill