Festool new Systainer that came with a sander I just purchased

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Festool new Systainer that came with a sander I just purchased

Post by reible »

I knew that Festool had changed the systainers they were shipping but this is the first one I have seen. Functional as they are the big change is that it has a handle both on the top and another on the "front". Since I know some of you have no idea what I'm talking about I took some pictures to illustrate the changes, well the ones on the outside anyway.

If you hate Festool then it is best you just skip this thread.........

First you will notice that the two systainers pictured are not the same size, that is because the older one is a sys2 and the newer on on the right is a sys3. You can ignore that as they are really two sizes and happened to be the ones I had out that day.
ft1.jpg
ft1.jpg (351.95 KiB) Viewed 868 times
A closer look at the two from the top shows how different they are:
ft2.jpg
ft2.jpg (205.81 KiB) Viewed 868 times
ft3.jpg
ft3.jpg (210.56 KiB) Viewed 868 times
A few things to notice is that the Festool logo is now facing the other way as is the handle open the other way. What is harder to see, in fact you can't see it in those photos. The handle now has retainer to keep it tucked in. In this next picture you can see the protuberance that carries out that function.
ft4.jpg
ft4.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 868 times
The back of the old version was never designed to have the systainer standing on that end, but the new one now has "feet".
ft5.jpg
ft5.jpg (158.8 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Now looking at the top/front of the new version you know that it can now set it two different orientations. The old version was not designed for that. And yes the front handle also stays in place via that same method as the top one.
ft6.jpg
ft6.jpg (176.73 KiB) Viewed 868 times
ft7.jpg
ft7.jpg (167.64 KiB) Viewed 868 times
There is another visible change, not sure as to the function, perhaps some sort of "lock"? Can you spot it?
ft9.jpg
ft9.jpg (130.43 KiB) Viewed 868 times
ft10.jpg
ft10.jpg (115.55 KiB) Viewed 868 times
I'm sure some people have wanted to see this change but I'm so so with it at least as it is new to me. I might grow to love it or, well not.

Have plans for the new sander this week so at some point expect me to speak to that. I'm hoping the dust collection with the bag is really good so I don't have to hook up the vac to it where I will be working. If I need to I need to but it will be a pain finding a good location for the vac to set and be out of the way....

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Festool new Systainer that came with a sander I just purchased

Post by DLB »

Okay, I'll bite. Why is this sander called "rectangular?"

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:09 pm Okay, I'll bite. Why is this sander called "rectangular?"

- David
David,

The only "rectangular" sander that Festool makes is the RTS 400, I believe. Ed showed the systainers for the DTS 400 (delta, corner sander) and the ETS 125 (round RO finishing sander). Did Ed talk about a rectangular sander in the thread above?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I was going by 'DTS 400 REQ.' Amazon listing describes it as rectangular: https://www.amazon.com/Festool-201228-O ... 107&sr=8-2 Perhaps I should have asked them? I know zip about Festool's offerings, so the EQ, REQ, Plus, etc are lost on me.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:26 pm I was going by 'DTS 400 REQ.' Amazon listing describes it as rectangular: https://www.amazon.com/Festool-201228-O ... 107&sr=8-2 Perhaps I should have asked them? I know zip about Festool's offerings, so the EQ, REQ, Plus, etc are lost on me.

- David
David,

Yeah, I don't know where the Festool naming comes from, but Amazon must be mistaken in their description (probably mistook it for the RTS which is a rectangular sander). Maybe "R" in "RTS" stands for rectangular and "D" in DTS stands for detail sander? From the FOG (Festool owner forum), I got the following information below regarding the suffix in the model name. For the US market, I believe the "R" typically means it is a newer version of the tool, i.e. latest model. The "E" typically means it has electronic control and/or variable speed and the "Q" means it has the Festool plug-it cord. So, this is where the "REQ" suffix comes from. In addition, sometimes there will be a "+" added to a tool model number and this signifies that it comes with its own systainer.

Sander naming:
R = Revised (updated)???
E = Electronics - variable RPM
Q = Quick (release?) - means it has a plug-it cord instead of a permanently attached cord

Tracksaw naming:
TS = Plunge Saw
C = Cordless
R = Narrow housing
E = Electronic (always comes with the Brake)
B = Brake
Q = Plug It
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor