Lift Assist

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Lift Assist

Post by dusty »

A couple years ago, for reasons that I do not now recall, I removed the lift assist from my Mark V. I think it might have been when I installed the double tilt on my go to machine.

For whatever the reason, I have now installed that lift assist onto my other Mark V. I did this now because I was beginning to realize that I had a great deal of trouble going back and forth to drill press mode. Age has caught up with me. Amazingly, I had all of the parts. That seldom happens in this shop.

I am hear now to tell you that the lift assist is absolutely amazing. The younger crowd (of which I was once a member) probably doesn't realize what this little accessory does for you. But I am here to tell those who have back problems or those who are beginning to feel the effects of age - get a lift assist. It is worth every red cent.

What a fool I have been for not having it reinstalled.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist

Post by chapmanruss »

I have it on my Mark 7 and would not want to be without it. I cannot put the power pro headstock into Drill Press position without it. My back cannot take lifting that weight anymore.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I agree with chapmanruss. I would not want a Mark 7 without the lift assist. It is one of the many things I love about the old Mark VII. I have thought about getting another LA for one of the other Mark V's, but decided I didn't need it.

I agree with ya Dusty! They are a great option! :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Dido! I have had it on my PowerPro about 5 years. While I could still raise it without the lift I would probably wind up in the ER ;-) I bought a Nova Viking earlier this year so don't anticipate having to raise my Mark V into drill press mode again.

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Although this old codger can still raise to vertical, I do so only when whatever I need doing cannot be done horizontally. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Is there a downside or two to have the lift assist?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe. Incompatible with double tilt. Stuff hangs below the bench tubes. Limits table travel slightly?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

berry wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm Is there a downside or two to have the lift assist?
I can't imagine what that would be. They are absolutely amazing. There is only one caveat with the new MK 7. You have to disconnect it to lift the machine to the left for under table routing. I don't consider that a downside. It has a quick disconnect so it is easy to do. When lifting to the left the head stock and table carriage is towards the left end of the machine so no lift assist is required.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

berry wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm Is there a downside or two to have the lift assist?
Yes, I see the fact that some of the area underneath is lesser available for storage. Other than that NO.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A couple of finer points, one when you disconnect the lift to do the other half of the dual lift you get to use the lift to go to go vertical, when you always go to disconnect. You then do no have the lift to lower. Then when you have finished using that position you have lift without the aid of the lift back to drill press mode to reconnect.

You also loose being able to get the carriage all the way to the left which is more of pain when turning shorter things like pens and the like.

This same thing happens when you want to do table tilts with floating extension tables off the right. The deeper the cut you need them more likely this will be an issue.

Most of these things are well documented else where here on the forum. You should be able to search and find them.

My solution was to make some PVC spacers so I can remove the parts then put them back on and keep the fine adjustments of the lift.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]