Some sad news...

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Some sad news...

Post by Chad »

Recently I was looking to purchase a new Porter Cable model 691 D-handle router. I've used this router in the past, and in my opinion, it was the Cadillac of D-handle routers. After searching locally and online I couldn't find a retailer who had one in stock. So, I reached out to Porter Cable directly, and this is the response I received:

IMG_1161.PNG
IMG_1161.PNG (145.11 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
Chad
Platinum Member

Re: Some sad news...

Post by Chad »

So, If I had to choose another brand, I would probably go with Makita. They are not a "zombie brand" as in they have not been bought out by a larger corporation just for their name and patents, like so my other brands have been over the years. Makita is owned by... You guessed it, Makita.
Last edited by Chad on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Chad,

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it is unfortunate to see Porter Cable™ sidelined and eventually folded into the DeWalt™ lineup like this. I grew up watching The New Yankee Workshop with my Dad. A lot of Norm Abram's tools were Porter Cable™ brand, so naturally that is what I bought when I got started in woodworking. I still own and use many Porter Cable™ tools in my shop. Over time I eventually migrated to other brands for new tools as Porter Cable™ stopped updating their products. With ShopVac™ closing its doors this year and Porter Cable™ dying a slow death on the vine of DeWalt™ corporate it is sad to witness for those who appreciated their tools.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Unfortunately I think this will be a on going process. I haven't met a millennial generation person with any interest in wood working or possessing ( have been taught) those skills. Sad! I watched many my age raise their children teaching them not to get their hands dirty. Those kids are now raising millennials and they do not think of building anything by hand. They think CNC, Lasers, 3D printing, or buying something built in a third world country. Sad!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Tools, even woodworking tools, go the way with age.

When did you last witness (even on TV) some one using a 5' two man cross cut saw or someone splitting logs with a wedge and sledge or some one stripping bark from a mighty tree with a draw knife.

I'm just thankful that here is some movement (all be it slight) to bring the trades back into high school shops.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am Tools, even woodworking tools, go the way with age.

When did you last witness (even on TV) some one using a 5' two man cross cut saw or someone splitting logs with a wedge and sledge or some one stripping bark from a mighty tree with a draw knife.

I'm just thankful that here is some movement (all be it slight) to bring the trades back into high school shops.
I still split a lot of firewood with my trusty old maul. Plus a wedge, if necessary. It's great exercise, and it's often more efficient than dragging out my little hydraulic splitter. My good neighbor friend splits all of his firewood by hand.

But that doesn't mean I don't like shiny new power tools!
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I use a Dewalt DW618.

Aside from the speed control magnet turning into shrapnel and having to buy a bearing puller to get at the this broken part, it has been
pretty consistent.

I don't have experience with other brands, though I find myself thinking about picking up a 2nd "palm" router so i don't have to keep taking my 618 out of my router table to run something that wont fit on the table. If I do- it would likely be a 1/2 shaft battery powered tool.

Getting lazy.
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Almost like losing a friend. I've had several 690 series routers and maybe the problem is they last too long. Every so often some new brushes. They are a little like Shopsmiths. I'm still regularly using 10ERs and a mark VII.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

That is sad. I love my Porter Cable “big” router. Has that solid feel, classic whine. I think I’ll look for a new/used one for a spare.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

There is a large Facebook group called "Workbench builders" with over 46,000 members that is over-flowing with new woodworkers, some pretty young.
There are many things I don't like about Facebook but I find that Groups works well. There are a zillion of them on about any subject. There is a group there called "Woodworking for beginners" that has 149,000 members and averages 410 messages a day...
I think the future of woodworking will be fine.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill