Mighty-Mite 4 in. Table Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Mighty-Mite 4 in. Table Saw

Post by RFGuy »

I was afraid of this...It looks like the miniature hand tool trend (ultra small hand planes, chisels, etc. - https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... -tool-sets) has finally reached the power tool category. 🙄
Has anyone seen or purchased one of these miniature table saws from Harbor Freight? Just $37.99.
Rumor is this is the same table saw that the elves use at the North Pole. 😃

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-migh ... 61608.html
MightyMite_TS.jpg
MightyMite_TS.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
ELF.jpg
ELF.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Mighty-Mite 4 in. Table Saw

Post by sehast »

There is a store that carries a whole line of miniature tools for people only interested in making small models.

https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections ... ccessories
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sehast wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:42 pm There is a store that carries a whole line of miniature tools for people only interested in making small models.

https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections ... ccessories
Yes, I was trying to look them up when RF Guy first posted but I couldn't remember the spelling. They have been around for a LONG time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

lol back in the 60's I got a complete set of these for Christmas , Ideal Power Mite Workshop, they cut balsa wood . that saw is so small reminded me of them . https://www.google.com/search?q=power+m ... m5dih54XOM
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I hadn't heard of Proxxon before, but it looks like a solid woodworking tool for model building, etc. When I compare the Proxxon video to the HF Mighty-Mite, there is no comparison. The Proxxon table saw appears to be a real tool, albeit smaller, whereas the Mighty-Mite looks like a novelty to me. Guess this isn't too surprising since Proxxon costs 10x more and appears to have twice the horsepower. When I saw the Mighty-Mite I had a good laugh, so just wanted to share it with the forum...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The Proxxon tools will cost a lot more than that HF toy but if you really wanted to do the kind of fine work you'd want to pay the extra money for the quality.

It's only 38 bucks though! I'm tempted to get one to put on the shelf next to my miniature hammer, pliers, and anvil.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

I thought about getting one of these (the cheap "hazard fraught" one) also a couple of years ago. Another hobby of mine is r/c airplanes and gliders. I thought it would come in handy to have a small saw with a table in my "shop for the planes", but after seeing the lack of quality, and the fact the blade doesn't tilt, and it doesn't have a fence, I passed on it. If I need to make cuts for anything with that hobby, I just go out to "woodshop" and use my SS bandsaw.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I have a Proxxon Chop and Miter saw. Not sure why, but I do! I primarily use it to trim pen blanks and pen tubes. Thought about getting rid of it many times, but it is so small and well built!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Micro-Mark has a whole catalog of small scale tools, including a whole shop full of little Proxxon power tools, for model and miniature builders and model railroad enthusiasts. It's a good place to go if you need stuff like sub-1/16th" drills, tiny screwdrivers or small surgical and dental tools.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks for mentioning Proxxon. Coincidentally, I saw Adam Savage on YouTube recently and he gave a rave review for another Proxxon tool. Apparently they make a rotary tool that he likes even better than his Dremel and it is the Proxxon version of it. He seemed to indicate he has better control and finesse with the Proxxon version for the types of work that he does. I had never heard of Proxxon before this thread, but it sure looks like like they have some interesting tools for smaller shops and/or model/miniature building. Pricing seems reasonable too, e.g. they have a small milling machine for only $358.

📶RF Guy