Which woodworking tools should I buy first?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Which woodworking tools should I buy first?

Post by chapmanruss »

Tools to buy would depend on the projects you have in mind. See your other post for more.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I recommend that you start planning a project. Once you have a plan, you can get an idea of what tools you need. Then, buy exactly what you need. Buying tools isn't productive. Using them is.
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

What do you already own and what is or budget? How large is your shop? Has your financial manager bought into the idea?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

First, get a 6" and/or 12" combination carpenter's square. Second, obtain a Shopsmith. Third, buy some clamps. Lots of clamps.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

A good combination square not at $10 one
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A carpenter's 'combination square' is not what you will need. A 'machinist's' combination square is appropriate. It can be used both for 'squaring' and 'measuring'. No need to go overboard and get Starrett... but a good quality accurate one will be adaquate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

The first tool to buy is a good first aid kit... :eek: :D
Everything else pretty much stops without a hammer. I have a few...
Wood is kind useless unless you can make it into smaller pieces which calls for a saw of some kind.
Then a plane and, and, and...
From that point on there can be no stopping. :rolleyes:
There are those that believe that you only need a knife and a block of wood to whittle.
Others of us feel that we need hundreds of tools just to sharpen our pencil. :)
I would recommend a a trip to the library...
Good luck and keep it fun.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

robinson46176 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm The first tool to buy is a good first aid kit... :eek: :D
Everything else pretty much stops without a hammer. I have a few...
Wood is kind useless unless you can make it into smaller pieces which calls for a saw of some kind.
Then a plane and, and, and...
From that point on there can be no stopping. :rolleyes:
There are those that believe that you only need a knife and a block of wood to whittle.
Others of us feel that we need hundreds of tools just to sharpen our pencil. :)
I would recommend a a trip to the library...
Good luck and keep it fun.
:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

JPG is right you can use less than the top. But I still use the combination square my late uncle (who was a tool and die maker) and it is from before WWII. So a fine tool will be accurate and useful for generations. That is always a trade off.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

so true, my first guess would be it depends on what you plan to make? , some folks have everything from vacuum tables and resin to different kinds / styles of drill bits . I think a good start would be with marking and measuring devices , a good table for laying out and working and gluing / painting staining the project,that will bring you to the clamps , ya never have enough clamps . Then of course there is the fastening part , a air compressor if you are going to use a ail nail'r and then of course the nail'rs and nails, ya never have the right size nails . the biggest thing that comes to my mind though, is a sacred human trait is called patience . my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)