12” hook & loop grit disks problem

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

number3456
Gold Member

12” hook & loop grit disks problem

Post by number3456 »

I recently got a hook and loop conversion and put my first disk on and went to switch to another grit disk and the backing to the grit disk pulled off.

Has anyone else had this happen to them or is there a trick I don’t know about? I have used hook and loop disks on my orbital sander for years and have never had this happen. These are the ShopSmith disks.

Thanks.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: 12” hook & loop grit disks problem

Post by edma194 »

I recall this happening, not sure if the materials came from Shopsmith. After it peeled off like that I cleaned the disk off really well, reattached the adhesive pad and pressed it down really well, but it would still come off occasionally. I think I didn't clean the disk well originally and clogged up the adhesive. When I got a new adhesive pad I scrubbed the disk and cleaned it with thoroughly with alcohol before attaching the pad and never had another problem.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

number3456 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:03 pm I recently got a hook and loop conversion and put my first disk on and went to switch to another grit disk and the backing to the grit disk pulled off.

Has anyone else had this happen to them or is there a trick I don’t know about? I have used hook and loop disks on my orbital sander for years and have never had this happen. These are the ShopSmith disks.

Thanks.
I have had the loop backing of the sandpaper come off of some 5" disks for my random orbital sander before. It is a manufacturing adhesive failure of the sandpaper. Since I bought a large quantity some time ago, I am not sure if it was a defect in manufacturing or just a problem of being old. Since yours is new, I would get a hold of customer service to let them know and to see if you can get a replacement. They would also want to know to see if this was a one time issue or if the whole batch has a problem. The sand paper packaging has a manufacturing lot number on it they may want. My understanding is the sandpaper is made in huge rolls and then cut to the size and shapes needed, so if it is a manufacturing failure it could be a very large issue.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Try this site for conversion discs. I have the 12" conversion for several years and it is still OK.
https://www.supergrit.com/products/prod ... conversion
Bill V
FalakCobb
Bronze Member

Post by FalakCobb »

Hey ! Are you sure the problem is in the sanding paper? I have not had any problems with it before, I have been actively using the orbital sander for the last 5 years and everything works well - it never flew or torn, what model of orbital sander do you have? Maybe yours is already outdated and it's time to refresh. 2 years ago I bought a new orbital machine from https://www.bestorbitalsander.com/, model: Ridgid R2601 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander - not the most expensive orbital machine, but it has a dust collection unit, variable speed, soft start and pad break - and the speed of 12,000 OPM works well in large works.I always use S SATC 72 PCS 5 Inch 8 Hole Hook and Loop Adhesive Sanding Discs Sandpaper for my machine
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

Greetings!

The 5 inch has never been a problem and I have switched to the mesh type sanding disks and I am very happy with those.

The problem is with the Shopsmith brand of 12 hook & loop sand paper and that the backing was separating. I talked to Shopsmith directly and it turned out that they had a bad batch of disks made by their sand paper vendor. They sent me a package of replacement sandpaper disks and no more problems!

Thank, Tim
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.