New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by claimdude »

Order update. S/W SM last month and was told would ship at the end of this month. Spoke with them yesterday and was told they are putting together the manual then will install hood and ship the middle of April ;-)

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 am Order update. S/W SM last month and was told would ship at the end of this month. Spoke with them yesterday and was told they are putting together the manual then will install hood and ship the middle of April ;-)

Jack
Jack,

So when were they going to tell you that this product is still in "Beta"?
:)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Probably in my next call the middle of this month ;-)

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:59 am Probably in my next call the middle of this month ;-)

Jack
Hoping you get it soon...wish they had more products in "Beta" and soon to come out.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shopsmith isn't alone right now with some delays. I did some looking around on the internet, and there are other brands of dust collectors that are having delays right now too due to manufacturing plants having slowdowns or shutdowns in the past year due to COVID. During that time, demand for them likely remained at normal levels while supply dwindled. Now as plants are getting back up to full production, we can expect delays until they catch up.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

garys wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:06 pm Shopsmith isn't alone right now with some delays. I did some looking around on the internet, and there are other brands of dust collectors that are having delays right now too due to manufacturing plants having slowdowns or shutdowns in the past year due to COVID. During that time, demand for them likely remained at normal levels while supply dwindled. Now as plants are getting back up to full production, we can expect delays until they catch up.
Yeah, but that is because those dust collectors are manufactured in China and due to trade tensions and shipping delays during the pandemic it has been slowed down. Soooo, the question is whether the DC-6000 is manufactured in USA or China? Wasn't the DC-3300 manufactured in Ohio?
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Has anything other than the motor been changed. I would think that the fan blade also changed.

Can an existing DC3300 be upgraded?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:40 pm Has anything other than the motor been changed. I would think that the fan blade also changed.

Can an existing DC3300 be upgraded?
Dusty,

Yeah, those are my thoughts as well. That is why I have been waiting to see the exploded diagram to compare the parts between the two. I briefly looked into hacking my DC-3300 with a larger impeller but there really isn't much room inside the shroud unfortunately.
📶RF Guy

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

DC-6000 order update.... I s/w Shopsmith service last week and was told they had received the parts they needed and that the DC-6000 I ordered should ship this month. On a brighter note, it has been really easy to get SS on the phone the last couple of times I have called. ;-)

Jack
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

DC-6000 order update.... Spoke with Shopsmith yesterday and was told they are expecting the housing the first week of June and that the collector would ship soon after that. Hmmmm. If not for two reasons I likely would have cancelled my order by now, 1. I have a perfectly good DC-3000 serving the area of my shop that the new DC-6000 will serve, and 2. the area where the collector will sit is perfect for the DC-6000 (same spot the DC-3000 sits) and to date I have not found an acceptable replacement for the DC-3000 that will fit in the area I need it to fit ;-)

So I will continue to play the part of an eternal optimist a while longer....

Jack