New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 pm Someone please correct me if I am wrong. If the only change is a higher HP motor with the same RPM and no change to the impeller it will not produce more CFM. To get more CFM you have to either increase the motor RPM or change the impeller design.

The add does not say you get a new impeller with the DC3300 upgrade kit so did they change the motor from 1725 RPM to 3450 RPM??? It dose not say you get 600 CFM with the upgrade kit for the DC-3300. It only says you get the POWER of the DC-6000, what ever that means. :confused:
The DC-3300 1/2 HP motor is a 3450 RPM motor, so this is not the change. Other motor types could spin faster, I'd guess it would be somewhat noisier and less efficient at moving air. Nothing says this is the same motor as the DC-6000 but I kinda think that's a reasonable assumption until disproven. And I don't think we have definitive info on the DC-6000 motor. So the answer in my mind is that this upgrade package must include a new impeller, perhaps not the DC-6000 impeller. I would sure like that confirmed, if it includes an impeller I'm pretty sure I want one.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Question is, what is meant in the blurb when it says
"the upgrade package will provide all the power of the DC-6000 motor in your existing DC-3300".

To do that I think the assembly that includes all the DC-6000 changes is necessary. So I conclude it MUST include both the motor and housing AND the 'fan' .... PN 556701. I think the 'housing' includes the fan housing. Might call MON to confirm.

BTW it DOES say 600 cfm for the DC-6000 .
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 pm Question is, what is meant in the blurb when it says
"the upgrade package will provide all the power of the DC-6000 motor in your existing DC-3300".

To do that I think the assembly that includes all the DC-6000 changes is necessary. So I conclude it MUST include both the motor and housing AND the 'fan' .... PN 556701. I think the 'housing' includes the fan housing. Might call MON to confirm.

Evidently I need to sign up for the email notifications. I don't find that 'all the power' statement you quoted on the web site either, it just says "a power boost" and refers to it as the "1-1/2HP Motor Upgrade Package." I plan to call Monday to confirm what I can. I'd like to be a bit more confident in everything said about the upgrade and the DC-6000, I'm still hung up on the notion that we have an 8 Amp 1-1/2 HP Motor, cuz I don't know how that is possible on 115 VAC. (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ection.htm) With others I've seen that's more like 20 Amps or some other definition of HP. I won't even ask CS that one though.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DLB wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 pm
JPG wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 pm Question is, what is meant in the blurb when it says

Evidently I need to sign up for the email notifications. I don't find that 'all the power' statement you quoted on the web site either, it just says "a power boost" and refers to it as the "1-1/2HP Motor Upgrade Package." I plan to call Monday to confirm what I can. I'd like to be a bit more confident in everything said about the upgrade and the DC-6000, I'm still hung up on the notion that we have an 8 Amp 1-1/2 HP Motor, cuz I don't know how that is possible on 115 VAC. (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... ection.htm) With others I've seen that's more like 20 Amps or some other definition of HP. I won't even ask CS that one though.

- David
Yeah, I thought that 8 Amp reference was probably a typo.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Let's hope the 600 cfm is not also a typo.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

There should be laws against advertising electric motors using peak HP. Peak HP is the HP that theoretically produces when enough load is supplied to stall the motor just before it burns up. That number is useless to everybody. The only number that matters to the user is the HP produced when running.

Air compressor manufacturers for years have used that Peak HP number. There were some lawsuits that determined that it is wrong, and yet it continues. I suspect that we are seeing more of that practice with the dust collectors just like we see in shop vacuums.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

'peak" power in amplifiers, "peak" motor power simply is not real. Look up the definifion for Horsepower. "instantaneous" is not there. Peaks are "instantaneous".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I spoke to SS CS this morning and she indicated that according to the BOM there is no impeller or fan in the "557092 DC-3300 1-1/2 HP Motor Upgrade Package." There is a motor, connector, motor housing, seals, screws etc. There was no fan or blower housing. I don't understand the overall picture here, but I'm not ready to pay for a call to SS engineering to get product description information that should already be in the on-line catalog. As far as I know there is no power issue running the existing impeller on a 1/2 HP motor, I've never heard it slow down. If the "package" came with an impeller I would have bought it to evaluate and report the rest of the story here. But I've got nothing to go on that makes me want this at this time. Perhaps when a product description is added that will change.

Note - I've never been terribly disappointed with a SS upgrade and I've bought several. I can't imagine that this actually is as it currently seems to be. I'm thinking that $280 should buy a significant performance upgrade. I presume I'm still missing some important piece of info.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 am I spoke to SS CS this morning and she indicated that according to the BOM there is no impeller or fan in the "557092 DC-3300 1-1/2 HP Motor Upgrade Package." There is a motor, connector, motor housing, seals, screws etc. There was no fan or blower housing. I don't understand the overall picture here, but I'm not ready to pay for a call to SS engineering to get product description information that should already be in the on-line catalog. As far as I know there is no power issue running the existing impeller on a 1/2 HP motor, I've never heard it slow down. If the "package" came with an impeller I would have bought it to evaluate and report the rest of the story here. But I've got nothing to go on that makes me want this at this time. Perhaps when a product description is added that will change.

Note - I've never been terribly disappointed with a SS upgrade and I've bought several. I can't imagine that this actually is as it currently seems to be. I'm thinking that $280 should buy a significant performance upgrade. I presume I'm still missing some important piece of info.

- David
The $280 is likely consumed mostly by the motor. I am not in the market but a dust collector upgrade without an impeller is not enticing at all. Besides, what is to gain with more horse power other than less strain on the motor. and mine is working fine.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

To add to everyone's ponderings on this subject. I emailed Shopsmith on Friday:

Question: I am looking at purchasing the dc6000 upgrade. Will it make my old dc3300 the same as the new dc6000? I would like to know how changing to the bigger motor provides increased cfm? If rpm and the impeller stay the same the cfm will not change with a more powerful motor.
Thanks, Paul

This is the response I got on Monday:

Hi Paul,
I forwarded your question to our engineering technician. See below to the response to your question regarding the CFM.
Regards, Denise

The Impeller is different, it has more veins.
The Impeller housing is also different.
Both of them combined to increase the CFM in the upgrade.

This sounds as if the upgrade does include a different housing and impeller.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic