New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gn017
Bronze Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by gn017 »

Sounds good!

I have Shop Fox W1819, already have a good 4-inch dust collector!
I don't think so to add extra on it :confused:
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

The DC6000 arrived Wed evening. I started assembly yesterday evening and will finish tonight. The box looked like it dropped off the truck at highway speeds but appears everything is in tact. They forgot to install the capacitor so won't be able to power it up until that arrives early next week. Here are box pics and I will update when I get it running and plan on taking decibel readings for my DC3000 and the new one for comparison.

Jack
Attachments
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (246.14 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (241.8 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg (244.85 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image00004.jpg
Image00004.jpg (257.32 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image00005.jpg
Image00005.jpg (296.82 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

YUP…that looks like a Shopsmith delivery to me! Just hope it powers up and works well for you despite the box going thru heck and back.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had an order that was lost for about 6 months(not shopsmith), I had contacted the seller and they couldn't locate it either so they sent me a new one, then like I was saying about 6 months later this dirty tore up package arrived...... and it looked in pretty much the same condition as this one. So maybe it was really shipped months ago but just took this long to arrive......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

claimdude wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 pm ...They forgot to install the capacitor so won't be able to power it up until that arrives early next week...
When someone says 'they forgot to install the capacitor' I'm hearing "they don't test these units after assembly." I know that happens for some products in some industries, but I'm a bit shocked in this case. Cuz it is a new product, or at least a new version. I'm fairly certain that I recently read something from a big power tool maker (Dewalt I think) that said that every product is run-tested. The only capacitor I can think of in my DC-3300 is the start cap for the motor. Please provide some details of what is going on here if you know them.

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Anything heavy shipped in cardboard ends up looking like this. Unless it is palletized people are trying to move it by grabbing the box, shoving on the sides and sticking stuff on top of it. Many products are have internal protection and make it through the process but the outside looks like it was in a war. I understand the trying to minimize weight but not putting in hand holds is asking for ruined products.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

David,

I am not certain but there is an extra pigtail that protrudes from the rear of the unit that has two female bullet connectors on it. There is nothing attached. The main connector looks like the one on my DC3000 and plugs up to the RT leg connector that sends power to the unit. I believe the capacitor connects to the bullet pigtail and attaches to the leg (I see a place on the back of the RT leg where it might go). If that is true then they very likely attached the capacitor to test the motor then disconnected it for packing. The unit and contents are in excellent shape so the packing was not a problem. I was told they do the assembly onsite so the box would have been shipped to them, unpacked, and repacked. Anyway, I am not at all concerned about where things stand right now. CS has been very good. They have answered my calls promptly and provided answers (albeit not entirely accurate in the past due mostly to CS receiving bad info).

Jack
DLB wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am
claimdude wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 pm ...They forgot to install the capacitor so won't be able to power it up until that arrives early next week...
When someone says 'they forgot to install the capacitor' I'm hearing "they don't test these units after assembly." I know that happens for some products in some industries, but I'm a bit shocked in this case. Cuz it is a new product, or at least a new version. I'm fairly certain that I recently read something from a big power tool maker (Dewalt I think) that said that every product is run-tested. The only capacitor I can think of in my DC-3300 is the start cap for the motor. Please provide some details of what is going on here if you know them.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

claimdude wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:26 am David,

I am not certain but there is an extra pigtail that protrudes from the rear of the unit that has two female bullet connectors on it. There is nothing attached. The main connector looks like the one on my DC3000 and plugs up to the RT leg connector that sends power to the unit. I believe the capacitor connects to the bullet pigtail and attaches to the leg (I see a place on the back of the RT leg where it might go). If that is true then they very likely attached the capacitor to test the motor then disconnected it for packing. The unit and contents are in excellent shape so the packing was not a problem. I was told they do the assembly onsite so the box would have been shipped to them, unpacked, and repacked. Anyway, I am not at all concerned about where things stand right now. CS has been very good. They have answered my calls promptly and provided answers (albeit not entirely accurate in the past due mostly to CS receiving bad info).

Jack
DLB wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 am

- David
I am inclined to believe you (DLB) are hearing other than what happened. It could very logically be tested the capacitor attached and then removed but not packed as it should have been.

I worked for a quality control test lab for a defense contractor and we often performed the final acceptance test with the equipment configured (physically) different than the operational configuration. Sometimes we shipped with critical parts removed after acceptance test and shipped separately.

It is unwise to draw conclusions without all of the details.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm I am inclined to believe you (DLB) are hearing other than what happened. It could very logically be tested the capacitor attached and then removed but not packed as it should have been.

I worked for a quality control test lab for a defense contractor and we often performed the final acceptance test with the equipment configured (physically) different than the operational configuration. Sometimes we shipped with critical parts removed after acceptance test and shipped separately.

It is unwise to draw conclusions without all of the details.
I agree. That's why I emphasized the statement "They forgot to install the capacitor," said how I interpret it, and asked for more details if he had them. I did not draw any conclusions, and still haven't. If what you are describing here is what happened, would you use the phrase "forgot to install" to describe it? I would not. Forgot to pack or include, maybe. Or perhaps it fell out of the package which obviously had a rough experience and might have been redone by the transport company.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well if the "box" was transported twice and SS opened it in between that explains the inner flap being on the outside.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange