New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by claimdude »

More pictures including the inside of the DC3000 and of the DC6000 manual:
Attachments
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (185.84 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (191.66 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (154.02 KiB) Viewed 875 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Jack,

Thanks. Much appreciated. Enjoy using it. It does look like Shopsmith kept most of the tooling the same between the DC-3300 and the DC-6000 which is good, I think. However, it does look like the motor housing is much wider on the DC-6000 so likely a bigger motor I suspect. Also, the impeller is a different part number now, so perhaps it is larger or a new design as well. I do wonder if Shopsmith will offer, at some point, an upgrade kit to bring this newer motor/impeller to the DC-3300, but probably not since they would rather sell the entire new model ($$$) to customers. Since the motor housing appears wider it would probably not be a straightforward adaptation anyway.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:30 am It does look like Shopsmith kept most of the tooling the same between the DC-3300 and the DC-6000 which is good, I think. However, it does look like the motor housing is much wider on the DC-6000 so likely a bigger motor I suspect. Also, the impeller is a different part number now, so perhaps it is larger or a new design as well. I do wonder if Shopsmith will offer, at some point, an upgrade kit to bring this newer motor/impeller to the DC-3300, but probably not since they would rather sell the entire new model ($$$) to customers. Since the motor housing appears wider it would probably not be a straightforward adaptation anyway.
Both the DC-3300 and DC-6000 parts lists show a "Motor and Blower Assembly" (Items 8 - 20). Every part of it appears to be different between the two. At that assembly level the new version looks like it could be a near drop in replacement. The new one is not listed yet, the DC-3300 version lists for $463.68. It looks to me like it would be easy to offer as an upgrade, but the upgrade would likely be pricey.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 am At that assembly level the new version looks like it could be a near drop in replacement. The new one is not listed yet, the DC-3300 version lists for $463.68. It looks to me like it would be easy to offer as an upgrade, but the upgrade would likely be pricey.

- David
Been awhile since I opened up my DC-3300, but doesn't it have kind of a "U" shaped area in the back of the outer ring that the motor assembly sets down in? Since the DC-6000 looks to have a wider motor housing, I think you would have to do some kind of modifications to that outer ring before it would just slide in. Sorry, my DC-3300 is up in my attic and not easily accessible for me to confirm this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:59 am Been awhile since I opened up my DC-3300, but doesn't it have kind of a "U" shaped area in the back of the outer ring that the motor assembly sets down in? Since the DC-6000 looks to have a wider motor housing, I think you would have to do some kind of modifications to that outer ring before it would just slide in. Sorry, my DC-3300 is up in my attic and not easily accessible for me to confirm this.
Yes, there is kind of a squared off "U" that appears to be part of the main housing. The Main Housing PN is the same on both lists, 515689. The motor housing was already fairly large, maybe they did not have to widen it for the new motor.(?) That seems unclear. The Motor Seal, 19A in the new list Jack attached and 20 in mine, is also unchanged (515550) and I believe it matches the dimensions of the "U."

If anyone has the DC-6000 and uses the large filter hood, does it fully inflate the hood? Will it fully inflate the hood with one of the three air inlets plugged? That would indicate, to me, a significant increase in CFM because mine does not fully inflate with all three inlets open.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This could be a slippery slope on which to do comparisons.

I just became aware that there is at least two versions of the dust collector newer than mine and I don't know what all of the changes were.

I've got no way to do a valid comparison. I just know that mine DC3000 has served me well for about fifteen years now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:43 pm This could be a slippery slope on which to do comparisons.

I just became aware that there is at least two versions of the dust collector newer than mine and I don't know what all of the changes were.

I've got no way to do a valid comparison. I just know that mine DC3000 has served me well for about fifteen years now.
I also have no way to make objective measurements for comparison. And I probably should have stated that the manual I'm referring to for parts list is 330002 dated 6/89. I've been pretty happy with mine. Then I bought a Planer that wants to work with the 4" 'standard' hose. It's my understanding that the DC-3300 used to have a 4" adapter available and that SS dropped it because the system didn't generate adequate air velocity for a 4" hose to keep the material suspended. I'm reasonably confident I can modify the plenum for a 4" hose. So if the DC-6000 has an honest and significant increase in CFM I'm interested. And I think a fully inflated 42" hood with two inlets open would indicate a significant increase that's easy, though subjective, to measure.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 pm ]I also have no way to make objective measurements for comparison. And I probably should have stated that the manual I'm referring to for parts list is 330002 dated 6/89. I've been pretty happy with mine. Then I bought a Planer that wants to work with the 4" 'standard' hose. It's my understanding that the DC-3300 used to have a 4" adapter available and that SS dropped it because the system didn't generate adequate air velocity for a 4" hose to keep the material suspended. I'm reasonably confident I can modify the plenum for a 4" hose. So if the DC-6000 has an honest and significant increase in CFM I'm interested. And I think a fully inflated 42" hood with two inlets open would indicate a significant increase that's easy, though subjective, to measure.

- David
David,

Your idea of having someone with a DC-6000 with a full size (42") hood check if it is fully inflated is a good idea and would confirm for us that the motor and/or impeller are different on it from the DC-3300. I know my DC-3300 never can fill the 42" hood fully. The only time that it did was when I took the 2-1/2" 3 way manifold off when I was doing some experiments with converting to a 4" PVC on it. The hood easily inflated all the way when doing this so if you want to convert a DC-3300 to a 4" inlet with a 42" hood I wouldn't hesitate trying it. Just remove the 3 way manifold and see if that fills the hood fully first. I can't remember the measurements but I remember getting significantly more airflow from my DC-3300 with no manifold versus with (measured with my anemometer) - even with all 3 2-1/2" ports open. Definitely should give you a boost in dust collection performance over using it with the 3 way manifold. The only problem is that Shopsmith doesn't sell the 4" adapter anymore so you have to seal the opening a bit because a 4" PVC OD is slightly less than the opening the manifold inserts into. Don't let the PVC get sucked into the impeller housing. If this works it will be a lot cheaper than buying a DC-6000 for you.
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have a 36" hood and it fully inflates (for whatever that is worth).

What would I gain by changing to a 42" hood other than the claim that it captures smaller particles.?

What is lost by having a taller hood that does not fully inflate.

Does the cake that develops in the hood help or hinder and how? When I change collection bags, I've been knocking all that cake off.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

My DC3300 fully inflates a 42" hood.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!