New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by DLB »

I've joined those asking SS for a clear written response, also called their attention to the complete absence of a description in the product documentation and to this thread. I referenced my previous verbal communication, which response was clear at the time though not the one I was hoping for. These other communications, while they could be more clear, certainly imply that the package includes a new fan (impeller) and new fan housing. If I had received either of the answers that shopsmithpaul received I would have ordered this while it was 'on sale.'

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:34 am I've joined those asking SS for a clear written response, also called their attention to the complete absence of a description in the product documentation and to this thread. I referenced my previous verbal communication, which response was clear at the time though not the one I was hoping for. These other communications, while they could be more clear, certainly imply that the package includes a new fan (impeller) and new fan housing. If I had received either of the answers that shopsmithpaul received I would have ordered this while it was 'on sale.'

- David
Was the DC-3300 Upgrade Kit offered on sale and if it was for what price? I never saw that. I did see a sales flyer for the DC-3300L
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

The upgrade sale was last weekend and ended on Monday 6/28/21. I ordered my DC3300 upgrade for a price of $279.99. Just a few minutes ago I received a shipment notification from ShopSmith. If you want to pm me and I’ll let you know what comes in the box. May be 7-10 days before I get the box. I did not select expedited shipping
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

ssuel wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:00 pm The upgrade sale was last weekend and ended on Monday 6/28/21. I ordered my DC3300 upgrade for a price of $279.99. Just a few minutes ago I received a shipment notification from ShopSmith. If you want to pm me and I’ll let you know what comes in the box. May be 7-10 days before I get the box. I did not select expedited shipping
A lot of us on this thread would like to see what is in the box! Please post pictures!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:34 pm Was the DC-3300 Upgrade Kit offered on sale and if it was for what price? I never saw that. I did see a sales flyer for the DC-3300L
It was a $30 SS Gift Card per jsb in this post: viewtopic.php?p=285005#p285005 Both the DC-6000 and this DC-3300 motor upgrade package were 'on sale' by means of a gift card, no reduction from regular price. As far as I know, and as indicated in this thread, this was the first mention by SS of an upgrade.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

algale wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:56 pm
ssuel wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:00 pm The upgrade sale was last weekend and ended on Monday 6/28/21. I ordered my DC3300 upgrade for a price of $279.99. Just a few minutes ago I received a shipment notification from ShopSmith. If you want to pm me and I’ll let you know what comes in the box. May be 7-10 days before I get the box. I did not select expedited shipping
A lot of us on this thread would like to see what is in the box! Please post pictures!
And the Parts List for comparison to the DC-6000 if possible!

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Attached is a copy of the latest communication I have had with CS regarding the DC-3300 1 1/2HP Upgrade Kit. My burning questions have all been answered though some of the answers are not what I had hoped for. None-the-less, my kit is on order and I am not so patiently waiting.

The ladies in Customer Service have been very helpful and extremely patient with me as I pressed for answers. I thank them sincerely.
scan0046.pdf
Answers to Questions Regarding the
DC-3300 1 1/2HP Upgrade Kit
(449.51 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
As I read all of the communications (especially this last one) I conclude that a DC-3300 with the Upgrade Kit installed is equivalent (in all respects) to a DC-6000.

I have also come to the conclusion that the BOM for the DC-6000 defines the Upgrade Kit by the data in lines 8-20. If my conclusions are correct, I be one happy camper even though I was one day late and did not benefit from the special sale.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:20 pm Attached is a copy of the latest communication I have had with CS regarding the DC-3300 1 1/2HP Upgrade Kit. My burning questions have all been answered though some of the answers are not what I had hoped for. None-the-less, my kit is on order and I am not so patiently waiting.

The ladies in Customer Service have been very helpful and extremely patient with me as I pressed for answers. I thank them sincerely.

scan0046.pdf

As I read all of the communications (especially this last one) I conclude that a DC-3300 with the Upgrade Kit installed is equivalent (in all respects) to a DC-6000.

I have also come to the conclusion that the BOM for the DC-6000 defines the Upgrade Kit by the data in lines 8-20. If my conclusions are correct, I be one happy camper even though I was one day late and did not benefit from the special sale.
That is excellent! I wish I had gotten this answer on Monday because 1) I would have bought this while on sale, and 2) I would not have posted the information with the answer I did get saying there was no fan/impeller! This makes much more sense to me.

Something to highlight from your attachment is that there is no increase in air flow when using a single hose. I use mine that way a lot. But there is a significant improvement with two hoses and a more significant improvement with three! Now if they would just bring back that 4" adapter! (Just kidding. I think a plenum modified to support both 4" and 2-1/2" with caps is the better path for my shop.)

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Great work, Dusty, that is a crystal clear response! It's great that the upgrade makes an old DC3300 the equivalent of the new DC6000.

But what surprises me (and I think you allude to when you say "some of the answers are not what I had hoped for") is that if you only use one hose at a time there will be no improvement in cfm. Both the old DC3300 and the new DC6000 (or an upgraded DC3300) will move exactly 200 cfm through one hose at a time, which I suspect is the way most of us probably use the DC3300 now. It is only when you use two or more hoses that the DC6000 (or an upgraded DC3300) is superior to the old DC3300 because the DC6000 (or an upgraded DC3300) maintains the 200 cfm for up to three hoses simultaneously while an old DC3300 sees a drop off in cfm with every additional hose attached.

Fascinating.

I had canceled my order on the belief that the upgrade didn't include the fan/fan housing. Now that I know I won't get more cfm with one hose, I will probably take a pass and put the money toward something else.

Thanks, again, Dusty, for being persistent.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I am still skeptical and want to see what comes in the upgrade from anyone that purchased it. IF the DC-3300 upgrade makes an old DC-3300 equivalent to a DC-6000 then that is great. With regard to the single hose CFM, this why I have been commenting for some time now that Shopsmith should offer upgrades on dust collection hoods for all of their equipment to convert to 4" (like the rest of the industry has now). Fairly easy to do on the bandsaw and TS lower saw guard, but more of challenge for the planer, etc. Still would be worthwhile for customers, IMHO, and would give them more revenue.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor