New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by RFGuy »

It looks like Shopsmith finally got around to a partial re-design of the DC-3300 dust collector. I just received the holiday catalog and noticed they have a new dust collector (DC-6000 or item #556700) for sale starting next month, so it isn't on the website yet. Only change that I can see is they changed from a 0.5HP to a 1.5HP motor. Hopefully they also increased the impeller size, but it doesn't say. Airflow is listed at 600CFM. Now if they could just offer a HEPA cartridge filter as an option that would be great.
DC6000.jpg
DC6000.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 pm It looks like Shopsmith finally got around to a partial re-design of the DC-3300 dust collector. I just received the holiday catalog and noticed they have a new dust collector (DC-6000 or item #556700) for sale starting next month, so it isn't on the website yet. Only change that I can see is they changed from a 0.5HP to a 1.5HP motor. Hopefully they also increased the impeller size, but it doesn't say. Airflow is listed at 600CFM. Now if they could just offer a HEPA cartridge filter as an option that would be great.

DC6000.jpg
Interesting!

Changing the motor HP at the same RPM will not increase the CFM. To get more CFM you need a bigger impeller (or a different design) at the same RPM. With a bigger impeller you may need more HP. Hence the increase from .5 to 1.5HP.

I am sure someone will chime in if this is incorrect. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Maybe the actual Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector will give better clues. The picture in the new catalog is a cropped and edited one of the DC-3300 from the online catalog.
dust_collector_dc3300.jpg
dust_collector_dc3300.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
I wonder if they will have an upgrade for DC-3300 owners.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

MAYBE they went from an induction motor to a universal motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm optimistic that an upgrade will be offered. The ad says the 24" and 42" filter hoods, as well as collection bags fit both models, so some important dimensions must be the same. Impeller, motor, probably a switch, possibly some wiring... An upgrade seems simple enough on the surface, and I would think the upgrade market is large in comparison. I'd also like to see a cartridge filter option but I'm less optimistic about that.

Just from observation of the picture in the catalog, it's not obvious to me how this thing works very well with its standard filter hood. Pretty tall order to get more flow through a same size filter without sacrificing filtration. It does say there is a new hood, but I didn't see micron filtration mentioned anywhere.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I think the change in the hood is simply the printed logo on the new one (P/N 556710) vs. the model number of the old one (P/N 514808). The old one will likely be discontinued after stock sells out since the new one should be interchangeable with it. The 24" and 42" are interchangeable already and only have the logo. Maybe an upgrade will include a decal "Shopsmith DC-6000" for the legs.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Wow what a group of skeptics! 😂 Wait until someone gets their hands on it and tests it out before you tear it up.
The current DC 3300 can be converted with a cartridge by using a spacer to lift the cartridge above any protruding parts and using an all thread to hold it on. It takes a little work around but it can be done.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Who's skeptical? I'm just curious. Curious about why they introduced a third dust collector. Curious about whether or not they are going to discontinue support of the old, old one (Mine). Curious whether the old one could be converter to function like the new design. Curious just what great features are available with the new one.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

Sorry if I sounded skeptical. I was only giving observations I made about the listing in the new catalog for the DC-6000 compared to the DC-3300. Along with that I put in a bit of a wish list about an upgrade for the DC-3300 to make it a DC-6000 since it appears to be going on the DC-3300 frame. Similar to what Shopsmith has done with the Mark V being upgradeable to even a Mark 7. One thing I have wanted to do, but have yet to do it, is change the filter hood on my DC-3300 to either the 24" or 42". I think I will now wait until the new DC-6000 comes out and see my options. Dayton are you listening?
Russ

Mark V 520
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I guess I'm a bit skeptical. Two things I would not expect in a modernized portable Dust Collector at this price point are 2-1/2" ports (only) and a 12" hood style filter. I don't see any way that it can perform well compared to other systems available that offer comparable power, 4" ports, and large filters. But that is based more on physics than skepticism, Shopsmith does not make a lot of performance claims that would cause one to be skeptical. Despite any of that, I would be a likely buyer if a reasonably priced upgrade to the 3300 is made available.

- David