New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:40 pm I'd bet on minimal, if any, differences between the production and upgrade versions. My thinking is that if the OEM was concerned about the big gap the most obvious place to change it is to change the shape of the motor housing so it fits. Raising the other end to close the gap results in the intake end not aligning so well with the hole in the main housing and perhaps interfering with the plenum. I hate to criticize when I don't know all the considerations that went into the design, but the motor housing is a new part which, presumably, allows for an engineering drawing, 3-D modeling, etc. They could have designed whatever was needed. Instead we have what appears to be a reworked DC-3300 motor housing. That approach constrains the design, as you are pretty much limited to removing the unwanted features. Which is exactly what the 'new' motor housing looks like. I hope there were non-obvious reasons for this choice.

- David
I suspect that it was a decision constrained by an objective to minimize tooling costs. I slight redesign of the molds for the motor housing and its done.

If the original intake and exhaust ports had been co-planar (motor axis of rotation and center of 4" connector) - there would be no issue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

$$$$$
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I agree that it is an economic decision. An unsound one, IMO. I don't mind that the part is reworked. I object to the extent to which the design/functionality of the system is compromised to allow the use of a reworked part instead of a redesigned one. Feels like a copy of an early prototype.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

All of this said, mine is now working fine. It dust clear the dust from the table saw and shaving from the jointer much better and it may even be a bit quieter.

I even devised a method whereby I could manage the motor and fan housing assembly with out assistance.
20210825_075041.jpg
20210825_075041.jpg (524.51 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:59 am All of this said, mine is now working fine. It dust clear the dust from the table saw and shaving from the jointer much better and it may even be a bit quieter.
Mine is currently working fine too, and airflow is significantly increased. When I got it back from Shopsmith I chose to use their new seals rather than improving because I wanted to see if they worked. They do, but I expect a much more limited life than in the DC-3300 due to the larger gap. I have plenty of time to decide which improvement to implement. I want to improve motor cooling so I'll probably do more than just seal it better. A word of advice. The other day I sucked up a couple of leaves while picking sawdust up off the floor, and they immediately clogged the system. In Dusty's earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=287388#p287388 you see there is an inlet grate that was not present in the 3300. It is effective at stopping large objects from reaching the impeller, a good inspection point for loss of flow. :o Easiest access is removal of the plenum.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:03 am
dusty wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:59 am All of this said, mine is now working fine. It dust clear the dust from the table saw and shaving from the jointer much better and it may even be a bit quieter.
Mine is currently working fine too, and airflow is significantly increased. When I got it back from Shopsmith I chose to use their new seals rather than improving because I wanted to see if they worked. They do, but I expect a much more limited life than in the DC-3300 due to the larger gap. I have plenty of time to decide which improvement to implement. I want to improve motor cooling so I'll probably do more than just seal it better. A word of advice. The other day I sucked up a couple of leaves while picking sawdust up off the floor, and they immediately clogged the system. In Dusty's earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=287388#p287388 you see there is an inlet grate that was not present in the 3300. It is effective at stopping large objects from reaching the impeller, a good inspection point for loss of flow. :o Easiest access is removal of the plenum.

- David
I gave serious thought to cutting that grate out but have not done so. Guess I better avoid big leaves and zip lock bags.

I use quit a few small zip locks for small parts. These would certainly clog it up.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty