New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 pm BOM = Bill of Materials. It's the list of parts with names and part numbers. Should be included with the instructions.
There is a BOM for the DC-6000 (here titled Parts List) on page 9 of this thread. As used here it is a list of all part numbered items required to assemble the top level item. Along with the BOM is an Exploded View of the Parts List to show where each of the parts is located.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jcgorla
Gold Member

Post by jcgorla »

I ordered the upgrade kit based on the sale flyer email. Didn't think at the time of all the questions posed in this thread, but glad the information about it finally came to light. My upgrade kit is on backorder, so the initial batch sold out very quickly. Looking forward to hearing more information from those who have upgraded their dust collectors.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jcgorla wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:23 pm I ordered the upgrade kit based on the sale flyer email. Didn't think at the time of all the questions posed in this thread, but glad the information about it finally came to light. My upgrade kit is on backorder, so the initial batch sold out very quickly. Looking forward to hearing more information from those who have upgraded their dust collectors.
Welcome to this mad house. Always good to get another new member.

You might appreciate being able to see how your DC-3300 performance actually changed with the installation of the upgrade. I certainly am. I have developed a jury rig test set to measure air speed (fan rpm). The details are here on the forum. If interested, it would be a pleasure to offer the details of what I have done. I;m just waiting now for the kit to come.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Before I ordered my DC3300 upgrade I search for more info on the upgrade on the ShopSmith website and did find much just what was contained within the email link. Also some replied on this thread that the $279.99 sale price wasn’t a real sale price. Today I found this on the website . It contains the upgrade description and the regular price. Maybe this weblink was there and I just missed it. Turns out it was on sale. Or a price increase just occurred?

My upgrade is suppose to arrive later today :) :)

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... pgrade.htm
Last edited by ssuel on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Good find! Confirms the upgrade gives all the performance of the DC6000.

But also has a big caveat: if your DC3300 was built prior to October 1991 (has a steel rather than plastic housing), the upgrade isn't compatible!

I will bet this will cause some consternation among members who have already bought the upgrade!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

That link is a good find. 100% certain it was NOT up at the time of the introduction sale. I am sure someone on this forum would have found it. I searched by the upgrade part number 557092 and other descriptive searches and found nothing that gave that much information. At the time I did find a catalog page with a photoshopped image that listed the $279 as a presumed regular price for the upgrade as it did not say sale price or special offer. I was thinking of going for the $279, but not so sure for $95 more. With the included $30 gift card, that was a really good offer. Kudos to anyone who took advantage of the sale.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
shopsmithpaul
Gold Member

Post by shopsmithpaul »

I just went back to the sale email and clicked the "buy now" tab and this is what came up. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV713

I still had this same page up on my computer from the time of the sale and the prices on both the upgrade and the DC-6000 are listed as $279 and $739, now the same page lists them as $374 and $879.
510, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

They still didn't get that page correct. Down at the bottom under "What’s Included:" it makes no mention of the fan and fan housing. Only the motor and motor housing. I know it does say fan and fan housing just above that but, still... That was the issue that started this thread, a lack of a clear description.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm They still didn't get that page correct. Down at the bottom under "What’s Included:" it makes no mention of the fan and fan housing. Only the motor and motor housing. I know it does say fan and fan housing just above that but, still... That was the issue that started this thread, a lack of a clear description.
Are we nit picking the marketing documents? I think so. The new flyer answers all of the reasonable questions one might have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:28 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm They still didn't get that page correct. Down at the bottom under "What’s Included:" it makes no mention of the fan and fan housing. Only the motor and motor housing. I know it does say fan and fan housing just above that but, still... That was the issue that started this thread, a lack of a clear description.
Are we nit picking the marketing documents? I think so. The new flyer answers all of the reasonable questions one might have.
You can call it nit picking if you want but what is not included in the current "What’s Included:" list is exactly what created this thread with 210 comments.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT