New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:15 pm I thought I had already thrown rocks at them.

It appears Management is clear!
Yes you did and I think inappropriately.

I see no where that Marketing has done anything that warrants criticism.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well then who/what IS responsible for all this confusion and mis-information from Dayton?

Had the 'literature' been clear and precise, then there would be no confusion.

Somebody apparently thinks a motor/impeller/housing sub-assembly is the same as a "motor".

I was responding to the previous post - "Seems there is a disconnect between engineering and the advertising department. CS seems to have been somewhat fixed. Now maybe we should take on the advertisement folks."

YEP we all await concrete evidence(arrival of an upgrade).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 am Well then who/what IS responsible for all this confusion and mis-information from Dayton?

Somebody apparently thinks a motor/impeller/housing sub-assembly is the same as a "motor".
I quite frankly do not believe there was any mis-information.

There were statements made, not by Shopsmith but by some of us, that were either taken out of context or misunderstood (including myself). Throughout this discourse there have been references to the DC-3300 when they should have been to the DC-3300 1 1/1/2 HP Motor Upgrade Kit and/or vice versa that caused much of the confusion.

Some of this confusion will continue into the future when there are DC-3300s in the field, some with and others without the Upgrade Kit.

Bottom Line: The reader has some responsibility for proper interpretation and understanding of what the writer intended. in some cases we did not do that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:21 am
JPG wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:57 am Well then who/what IS responsible for all this confusion and mis-information from Dayton?

I quite frankly do not believe there was any mis-information.

There were statements made, not by Shopsmith but by some of us, that were either taken out of context or misunderstood (including myself). Throughout this discourse there have been references to the DC-3300 when they should have been to the DC-3300 1 1/1/2 HP Motor Upgrade Kit and/or vice versa that caused much of the confusion.

Some of this confusion will continue into the future when there are DC-3300s in the field, some with and others without the Upgrade Kit.

Bottom Line: The reader has some responsibility for proper interpretation and understanding of what the writer intended. in some cases we did not do that.
100% agree that had the literature been clear and precise there would be no confusion. IMO the literature was/is non-existent. Because of that, and the name chosen for the upgrade, there was speculation among the forum members that the upgrade might not include an impeller and therefore would not yield significant airflow improvement. Adding to the problem, we received conflicting and unclear answers from SS CS on the inclusion of an impeller. I was told when I called that the upgrade package did not have an impeller/fan nor a housing and I shared that misinformation here. Others were told that 'it' did include an impeller but the answers were vague as to whether 'it' was the upgrade, a DC-6000, or both. Since that conflicted with what I had been told, some of us believed that answer applied to the DC-6000 and not the upgrade.

A new product was introduced for the first time via 'current specials' over a weekend. There was no description, creating an information vacuum that was filled with speculation. When we sought clarification we were given conflicting answers, indicating that SS CS was also not well prepared for the new product. When the dust settled, we now have what we think is an accurate description. (Vacuum and dust puns intended.) This didn't really take long and I think we ended up with the right answer. It is, I think, a DC-3300 Motor and Blower Assembly Upgrade.

Someone that ordered the kit please post a picture of the motor label before you install it. Perhaps we can put that 8 Amp Vs 1-1/2 HP thing to bed too. Since I missed the sale due to misinformation I'm not planning to order until I modify a plenum for a 4" air hose while retaining the 2-1/2" connections.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We disagree but that is OKAY, at least from my point of view. It is strange though how we got to where we are. I entered this discussion with the attitude that I don't need the upgrade and won't buy it even on sale. Here we are. I ordered one and wish it was here. I almost began tearing into the DC-3300 this morning and then wised up. Wait at least unto I have a shipping confirmation.

The only hangover I have from the discussion is whether the Fan and Fan Housing really have part numbers different than those used in the DC-6000. If the parts are truly identical I will be curious as to why different numbers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

David,

My DC3300 upgrade is scheduled to arrive mid to late this week according to tracking info. I am a novice using this forum. I used to be on Facebook more but I moved off that platform and trying to use this one more. Not too sure how to upload pics but I’ll try to figure it out when it arrives later this week

Thanks
ssuel
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ssuel wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:50 am David,

My DC3300 upgrade is scheduled to arrive mid to late this week according to tracking info. I am a novice using this forum. I used to be on Facebook more but I moved off that platform and trying to use this one more. Not too sure how to upload pics but I’ll try to figure it out when it arrives later this week

Thanks
ssuel
I don't have a ship date yet but I can hardly wait. I can hardly wait to see your pictures too. I am most interested in a picture of the Turbo Fan. This is where the work is done.

I am equally anxious to see the condition of the fan when I dismantle mine. I have used the dust collector for many years and I have sucked far too many items into the fan what should not have been there.

When you get yours, please post a picture of the BOM.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Dusty.
Please explain Meaning of BOM. Sorry probably my inexperience on this forum.
Thanks
ssuel
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BOM = Bill of Materials. It's the list of parts with names and part numbers. Should be included with the instructions.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Just a little food for thought here. When talking about part numbers we have to remember that there are individual part numbers and different "part" numbers for assemblies which include the individual parts. Here is an example - I know many of you have the 3" Sanding Drum part number 505552. It is made up of the following 5 parts not including the different grit sanding sleeves.

122181 - Hex Head Cap Screw
222458 - Socket Set Screw
503007 - Hub, Drum Spindle
503009 - Sleeve, Rubber
503010 - Hub, Drum Adjusting

It will take comparing a parts list of the DC-3300 upgrade kit to the parts list of the DC-6000 to see if the included parts are the same.

I too, didn't buy the upgrade when it was on sale due to the lack of information on what was included.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.