New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:28 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm Are we nit picking the marketing documents? I think so. The new flyer answers all of the reasonable questions one might have.
You can call it nit picking if you want but what is not included in the current "What’s Included:" list is exactly what created this thread with 210 comments.
Call it nitpicking if you want, but I think Shopsmith purposely makes their sales flyers vague to discourage customers from purchasing at the sale price in hopes they will purchase later at full price, i.e. they are intended as advertisements only. As I said previously, this isn't the first sales flyer that I found vague prompting me to skip the sale...and I don't think I am the only one. To top it off, it is still unclear to me if there is any improvement with either the DC-6000 or the upgraded DC-3300 because the majority of Shopsmith owners tend to only use one 2-1/2" hose connected at a time. Didn't Jim's CFM numbers confirm that there is no improvement with the DC-6000 over a DC-3300 (old or upgraded) when only one 2-1/2" port is open and in use? IF someone wants to plumb a 4" duct to the DC-6000 or upgraded DC-3300 then that would have an improvement presumably, but not for a single 2-1/2" port.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:55 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm Are we nit picking the marketing documents? I think so. The new flyer answers all of the reasonable questions one might have.
You can call it nit picking if you want but what is not included in the current "What’s Included:" list is exactly what created this thread with 210 comments.
Call it nitpicking if you want, but I think Shopsmith purposely makes their sales flyers vague to discourage customers from purchasing at the sale price in hopes they will purchase later at full price, i.e. they are intended as advertisements only. As I said previously, this isn't the first sales flyer that I found vague prompting me to skip the sale...and I don't think I am the only one. To top it off, it is still unclear to me if there is any improvement with either the DC-6000 or the upgraded DC-3300 because the majority of Shopsmith owners tend to only use one 2-1/2" hose connected at a time. Didn't Jim's CFM numbers confirm that there is no improvement with the DC-6000 over a DC-3300 (old or upgraded) when only one 2-1/2" port is open and in use? IF someone wants to plumb a 4" duct to the DC-6000 or upgraded DC-3300 then that would have an improvement presumably, but not for a single 2-1/2" port.
I yield to your comment about "Improvement". It all depends on what the user does with it. If you are a one hose person with a DC-3300 you will likely not recognize any "improvement". I have been but will no longer me a one hose person. This will allow me to connect to both my table saw and jointer at the same time with no lose in performance.

We differ completely on Shopsmith's advertising tactics.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:43 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:03 pm They still didn't get that page correct. Down at the bottom under "What’s Included:" it makes no mention of the fan and fan housing. Only the motor and motor housing. I know it does say fan and fan housing just above that but, still... That was the issue that started this thread, a lack of a clear description.
Are we nit picking the marketing documents? I think so. The new flyer answers all of the reasonable questions one might have.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Ok I got my upgrade. I am trying to attach 6 pics. It came with an 8-9 pages upgrade instructions that is illustrated too. I will not be able to start the upgrade process until next week... my grandkids just arrived and shop is an early morning playground for the next week. So I will not be able to report anything on that for awhile.
Attachments
IMG-3953.JPG
IMG-3953.JPG (261.84 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3954.jpg
IMG-3954.jpg (179.89 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3956.JPG
IMG-3956.JPG (236.1 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3958.JPG
IMG-3958.JPG (259.87 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3960 (1).JPG
IMG-3960 (1).JPG (204.02 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3962.JPG
IMG-3962.JPG (275.08 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG-3963.JPG
IMG-3963.JPG (293.18 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Very interesting...it looks like an off the shelf squirrel cage blower.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Yes blower impeller is housed in metal and a metal inlet screwed onto metal. All the parts that came in the box are in the one picture where laid out on the work bench. The motor is housed in a thick plastic similar to my original (I updated my original posted description after a closer look.)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:58 pm Very interesting...it looks like an off the shelf squirrel cage blower.
What would you expect it to look like? Is it not just a squirrel cage blower sized to fit the space available?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 am What would you expect it to look like? Is it not just a squirrel cage blower sized to fit the space available?
Dusty,

Sorry, I mis-spoke. Technically it is not a squirrel cage blower fan. I was just commenting on how it looks like a standard off-the-shelf blower fan. In other words, it doesn't look like a special design just for Shopsmith. Only speaking of the blower itself - not the plastic housing to mount it in the DC-3300/6000.
📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

As discussed earlier in this thread I had intended to buy the upgrade kit until I received incorrect information from CS indicating that the kit did not include a fan/impeller. I compounded CS' error for them by reporting that information here. At the time the introductory/sale pricing ended we were in the dark as to the actual content of the kit. I'm happy to report that SS CS has made this right for me by offering to honor the original introductory pricing special on the upgrade kit. If others were impacted by the incorrect content description it might be worthwhile to contact CS and explain the situation. SS CS (Denise) seemed well aware of both the absence of information on the web site at the time of the sale and of the timing of the misinformation and corrected information.

I didn't ask for this resolution. I had made the recommendation to CS that they place the item back on sale. Which I still think would be the best choice, but perhaps is not practical for the MS.

Note - Upgrade kits are backorder, or were last week when I ordered.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 am As discussed earlier in this thread I had intended to buy the upgrade kit until I received incorrect information from CS indicating that the kit did not include a fan/impeller. I compounded CS' error for them by reporting that information here. At the time the introductory/sale pricing ended we were in the dark as to the actual content of the kit. I'm happy to report that SS CS has made this right for me by offering to honor the original introductory pricing special on the upgrade kit. If others were impacted by the incorrect content description it might be worthwhile to contact CS and explain the situation. SS CS (Denise) seemed well aware of both the absence of information on the web site at the time of the sale and of the timing of the misinformation and corrected information.

I didn't ask for this resolution. I had made the recommendation to CS that they place the item back on sale. Which I still think would be the best choice, but perhaps is not practical for the MS.

Note - Upgrade kits are backorder, or were last week when I ordered.

- David
My order, previously back ordered, is now in shipping channels.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty