New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by claimdude »

David,

Apparently I misspoke. I said forgot to install as that is in fact true. Further investigation revealed that the final install was to be performed by the purchaser. Would have been more accurate to say they failed to include the capacitor in my order but you drew a more inaccurate conclusion from my statement. I was not quoting SS but merely describing what I thought happened. You are the one you concluded that SS didn't test the machine. Anyway, I am the buyer and so far I am satisfied. I also discovered the metal strap that holds the filter on the top is missing an end. I just pulled the strap off my old DC3000.

Also, I tested the decibels at 3 ft and the DC3000 measured 70db. I will let you all know when I get the capacitor what the db of the DC6000 is.

Jack
DLB wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:07 pm
dusty wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm I am inclined to believe you (DLB) are hearing other than what happened. It could very logically be tested the capacitor attached and then removed but not packed as it should have been.

I worked for a quality control test lab for a defense contractor and we often performed the final acceptance test with the equipment configured (physically) different than the operational configuration. Sometimes we shipped with critical parts removed after acceptance test and shipped separately.

It is unwise to draw conclusions without all of the details.
I agree. That's why I emphasized the statement "They forgot to install the capacitor," said how I interpret it, and asked for more details if he had them. I did not draw any conclusions, and still haven't. If what you are describing here is what happened, would you use the phrase "forgot to install" to describe it? I would not. Forgot to pack or include, maybe. Or perhaps it fell out of the package which obviously had a rough experience and might have been redone by the transport company.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

claimdude wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:09 pm David,

Apparently I misspoke. I said forgot to install as that is in fact true. Further investigation revealed that the final install was to be performed by the purchaser. Would have been more accurate to say they failed to include the capacitor in my order but you drew a more inaccurate conclusion from my statement. I was not quoting SS but merely describing what I thought happened. You are the one you concluded that SS didn't test the machine. Anyway, I am the buyer and so far I am satisfied. I also discovered the metal strap that holds the filter on the top is missing an end. I just pulled the strap off my old DC3000.

Also, I tested the decibels at 3 ft and the DC3000 measured 70db. I will let you all know when I get the capacitor what the db of the DC6000 is.

Jack
DLB wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:07 pm
dusty wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm I am inclined to believe you (DLB) are hearing other than what happened. It could very logically be tested the capacitor attached and then removed but not packed as it should have been.

I worked for a quality control test lab for a defense contractor and we often performed the final acceptance test with the equipment configured (physically) different than the operational configuration. Sometimes we shipped with critical parts removed after acceptance test and shipped separately.

It is unwise to draw conclusions without all of the details.
I agree. That's why I emphasized the statement "They forgot to install the capacitor," said how I interpret it, and asked for more details if he had them. I did not draw any conclusions, and still haven't. If what you are describing here is what happened, would you use the phrase "forgot to install" to describe it? I would not. Forgot to pack or include, maybe. Or perhaps it fell out of the package which obviously had a rough experience and might have been redone by the transport company.

- David
I hope I learned a lesson (again) from this. Don't draw conclusions from anything you see, hear or experience until you have all of the pertinent information.

I'm just glad to hear that you are completely satisfied.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Absolutely great advice Dusty. If we all did this things would be much better. Not a problem here but I think about what I hear on "Social Media". Yes I know, Dusty. How about the phrase "Main stream social media".
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Update: I called SS this morning and waited on hold for less than 5 seconds. Nice lady told me they would take care of the defective strap right away. I also received my capacitor today. I will get it installed this evening and provide another update. I have to install the capacitor and the bag then I can fire it up. I got a remote that will handle the 9+ amps of the DC6000. Cost $20 and was delivered yesterday. Includes 3 remote controlled outlets that can be controlled individually from the remote.

Jack
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Sounds like that SS is getting their old act together.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Got the capacitor installed and fired it up. Decibel rating is 72 at 3 feet, the DC3000 measured 70db at 3 feet. Not bad at all. I don't have an airflow meter. All in all I am quite happy with my purchase.

Jack
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That's great. If you are happy, it was worth the wait to get what you wanted. Now, hopefully, it really "sucks". :)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Jack,

Glad you got it and it is working well for you. Some of us are just wondering what is changed inside the DC-6000 versus the DC-3000, e.g. larger impeller or larger motor, etc. By chance does the manual that came with it have an exploded parts diagram and parts list? If so, would you be willing to post it here?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Yes it does. I will look it over this evening and report back. Also, got my shipping notice on the strap today.

Jack
RFGuy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:04 am Jack,

Glad you got it and it is working well for you. Some of us are just wondering what is changed inside the DC-6000 versus the DC-3000, e.g. larger impeller or larger motor, etc. By chance does the manual that came with it have an exploded parts diagram and parts list? If so, would you be willing to post it here?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:40 pm Absolutely great advice Dusty. If we all did this things would be much better. Not a problem here but I think about what I hear on "Social Media". Yes I know, Dusty. How about the phrase "Main stream social media".
This is an ever increasing problem. Is there any source of information these days that you can trust; that you can take at face value? How does one go about collecting opposing opinions or "untainted facts"?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.