New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 pm
RFGuy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm
JPG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:30 pm well the 'upgrade' is official.

I wonder if it will allow rereleasing the 4" port upgrade?

$279 is tempting!
Yeah, I just saw the email. That is great news. So, I wonder if the motor is the only change for the DC-6000 or if the impeller is modified as well. In other words will upgrading the motor on the DC-3300 also yield 600CFM or will it be slightly less.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. If the only change is a higher HP motor with the same RPM and no change to the impeller it will not produce more CFM. To get more CFM you have to either increase the motor RPM or change the impeller design.

The add does not say you get a new impeller with the DC3300 upgrade kit so did they change the motor from 1725 RPM to 3450 RPM??? It dose not say you get 600 CFM with the upgrade kit for the DC-3300. It only says you get the POWER of the DC-6000, what ever that means. :confused:
Thanks, you may have just saved me from throwing away $279!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 pm
RFGuy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm
JPG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:30 pm well the 'upgrade' is official.

I wonder if it will allow rereleasing the 4" port upgrade?

$279 is tempting!
Yeah, I just saw the email. That is great news. So, I wonder if the motor is the only change for the DC-6000 or if the impeller is modified as well. In other words will upgrading the motor on the DC-3300 also yield 600CFM or will it be slightly less.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. If the only change is a higher HP motor with the same RPM and no change to the impeller it will not produce more CFM. To get more CFM you have to either increase the motor RPM or change the impeller design.

The add does not say you get a new impeller with the DC3300 upgrade kit so did they change the motor from 1725 RPM to 3450 RPM??? It dose not say you get 600 CFM with the upgrade kit for the DC-3300. It only says you get the POWER of the DC-6000, what ever that means. :confused:
John,

Short answer is I don’t know, which is why I asked the question. However I do believe an increase in horsepower does yield a small increase in airflow (CFM). Refer to the link below for an example. The fan curves in their graph are all at the same motor RPM. There is a noticeable jump in CFM between the 0.5HP and 1.5HP graphs for this manufacturer’s fans. So, maybe it is possible that you get more CFM out of a DC-3300 with this new motor but it may not be as high as the 600CFM that the DC-6000 gives. I sure wish Shopsmith provided more specs and documentation to make it easier on customers to see what they are getting.

https://continentalfan.com/fan-basics- ... -basics-2/
EB3109E8-576A-4092-83BD-9F7C7B9B7870.png
EB3109E8-576A-4092-83BD-9F7C7B9B7870.png (126.2 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likely the only correct answer here needs to come directly from Shopsmith. Their engineer should be able to say if replacing the motor and motor housing is also getting a different impeller or impeller housing to increase air flow.

I suggest trying to email Shopsmith and get information from the "source", rather than from our "guesses".
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I have the DC6000 and though I don't have an air flow meter can say the flow is much higher than my DC3300. I hooked up to my spindle sander that its about 9 in from the collector and turned it on. The air flow noise coming from Rigid Spindle sander caught me off guard as the DC3300 air flow noise could not be heard ovr the noise of the collector. Look at my pictures of the inside of the DC3300 and of the DC6000 parts list. My guess is the new motor would require the new impeller due to the change in housing size and configuration.

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

garys wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:15 am Likely the only correct answer here needs to come directly from Shopsmith. Their engineer should be able to say if replacing the motor and motor housing is also getting a different impeller or impeller housing to increase air flow.

I suggest trying to email Shopsmith and get information from the "source", rather than from our "guesses".
With a normal company, your comments would be correct, but in this case I strongly disagree. Emails are hit or miss with Shopsmith. CS is often not technical enough to answer this and it costs money to talk to an engineer now for them. Hence more speculation and debate on this forum amongst customers.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I don't get the emails but I see the specials through 'Current Specials' from the SS home page. In this case that ad seems to indicate that the 'special' on the DC-6000 or DC-3300 motor upgrade is in the form of a Free Gift Card. Does the email suggest what the dollar value of the gift cards are for these? Like everyone that has commented, I'm disappointed in the lack of information on what the content of the motor upgrade kit is. But I'm considering it anyway. Thinking I will try calling CS on Monday to see if I can at least find out what parts are in the package.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am I don't get the emails but I see the specials through 'Current Specials' from the SS home page. In this case that ad seems to indicate that the 'special' on the DC-6000 or DC-3300 motor upgrade is in the form of a Free Gift Card. Does the email suggest what the dollar value of the gift cards are for these? Like everyone that has commented, I'm disappointed in the lack of information on what the content of the motor upgrade kit is. But I'm considering it anyway. Thinking I will try calling CS on Monday to see if I can at least find out what parts are in the package.

- David
If you buy a new DC-6000 you get a $100 gift card. If you buy the DC-3300 upgrade kit you get a $30 gift card.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:52 am I don't get the emails but I see the specials through 'Current Specials' from the SS home page. In this case that ad seems to indicate that the 'special' on the DC-6000 or DC-3300 motor upgrade is in the form of a Free Gift Card. Does the email suggest what the dollar value of the gift cards are for these? Like everyone that has commented, I'm disappointed in the lack of information on what the content of the motor upgrade kit is. But I'm considering it anyway. Thinking I will try calling CS on Monday to see if I can at least find out what parts are in the package.

- David
If you browse back through this thread you will find a complete list of parts and a detailed photo of the dust collector. Can't get better than that.

Compare part numbers to see what is different. :rolleyes: :)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:03 pm If you browse back through this thread you will find a complete list of parts and a detailed photo of the dust collector. Can't get better than that.

Compare part numbers to see what is different. :rolleyes: :)
Yep, I looked at that. The PN for the DC-3300 Motor Upgrade Package, 557092, isn't on the PL for the DC-6000. It could consist of some parts of the DC-6000 or it could be completely different or a combo. The only conclusion I draw is that it is probably not a complete DC-6000 Motor and Blower Assembly or it would likely have the same PN and, IMO, be more expensive than this. Which is good with me, I don't want more expensive than this. What I think everyone here is really asking is: "Is this DC-3300 upgrade going to move substantially more air through the system?"

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:58 pm What I think everyone here is really asking is: "Is this DC-3300 upgrade going to move substantially more air through the system?"

- David
Exactly.
📶RF Guy