iGaging AngleCube

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

iGaging AngleCube

Post by dusty »

If you own one of these, did you know that it can be calibrated. I did not. That is probably because I hardly ever read instructions...until I really need them. A week or two ago, mine began giving some real strange readings. I changed the battery but that made no difference.

I use mine a lot so I bought a new one. I had thought that I was buying another of the same model but again because I don't read carefully...I got an updated model. As usual, it came with an instruction sheet and on the back of that sheet was a calibration procedure.

Fortunately, I had not yet deep six'd the old one. With nothing to lose, I ran the 'simple to follow' seven step calibration procedure and it worked. I now have still another spare. Yes, not just two but three and they all report the same when used.

The new AngleCube is functionally identical to the one I revived except that it is USB rechargeable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: iGage AngleCube

Post by DLB »

Interesting. That made me wonder if the Wixey version can be calibrated. It does not appear to me that it can. Or maybe that is not equivalent, as there is a model that allows calibration of "Dead Level." Which seems to be a Trademarked term that means the same thing as "level."

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: iGage AngleCube

Post by RFGuy »

Wixey sells an angle gauge (WR300) which is only used for reference measurements, not absolute measurements, so it is not intended for measuring level...just angles. They also sell a version (WR365) that is both an angle gauge and a level. The latter is the one that has a factory calibration for level, but you can override it with your own calibration. This Wixey model (WR365) would be the most similar to the iGaging Angle Cube that has a level function.

http://www.igaging.com/35-222-6%20Instruction.pdf

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/owners/images/wr365.pdf
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: iGaging AngleCube

Post by rpd »

I have had a Beall Tilt Box II for many years. It does absolute angles, or you can zero it to a surface. Magnets on the bottom and both sides. And it is powered by a 9 volt battery that seems to last for ever. :)

https://bealltool.com/products/measuring/tiltbox.php
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rpd wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:54 am I have had a Beall Tilt Box II for many years. It does absolute angles, or you can zero it to a surface. Magnets on the bottom and both sides. And it is powered by a 9 volt battery that seems to last for ever. :)

The Beale Tilt Box and the AngleCube look to me as though they share some ancestry.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 am
rpd wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:54 am I have had a Beall Tilt Box II for many years. It does absolute angles, or you can zero it to a surface. Magnets on the bottom and both sides. And it is powered by a 9 volt battery that seems to last for ever. :)

The Beale Tilt Box and the AngleCube look to me as though they share some ancestry.
I hadn't looked at the Angle cube that closely before, but you are correct, they look identical, but for the printing.
The USB recharging on the new one sounds interesting, I haven't tried the Wixy, but my experience with other things that use AA or AAA cell's is that the shelf life is not as good as with the 9 volt battery's

It wouldn't surprise me if they all use the same IC chip
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, A LOT of copying in China. Even if these are different, independent companies, often times technical documents are freely shared between employees at different companies. So, it isn't just the design (outward appearance) that is in common, but the guts inside as well. Asia, particularly China, is like the Wild, Wild West when it comes to tech and intellectual property protections...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor