Cold weather wood worker? Read on

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Cold weather wood worker? Read on

Post by reible »

If you grew up some place cold and you spent a good deal of time outside doing things then it is also likely that you had a hand warmer. Back in the day they were a catalytic heater that used lighter fluid. I think I may still have mine here somewhere. I made a pouch for it on the old treadle sewing machine we had at home. Yes my Mom made sure I knew how to sew.........

Anyway they still have them but you have the lighter fluid to deal with and the smell of that and yes they are less expensive then the new battery powered ones I just had to get one of the new ones. My hands are getting worse in the cold weather and as I age so I figured this was a good year to splurge. It was Christmas time.
hand warmer.jpg
hand warmer.jpg (104.11 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
This version has three heat settings and claims 8-12 hours of run time on the low setting. It charges just like a phone or tablet and oh yes it also works as a power bank (7800mAh). It heats up fast and I cycle mine on and off so it lasts for a long while. I've only used the low setting as it warm enough to be comfortable. It does cost almost $30 but I'm worth it.

While it nice in the shop where I can stick it in a pocket and when my hands get cold I can pull it out and turn it on then hold it for a while and I'm ready to go again. Today I was out taking pictures and this is another thing that gets my hands cold, but they warm up quick with this, it worked great!

There are a lot of options for brands and features and costs so I will not say this is the one you should get but I will say if you need to have a hand warmer then look into these. If you want to know the brand feel free to ask.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: Cold weather wood worker? Read on

Post by Mike907 »

Hot Hands and Little Hotties chemical hand warmers work well, and the heat lasts 8-10 hours. I use the toe warmer versions almost daily on my walks. Around here, Costco carries the Little Hotties brand and Cabelas has the Hot Hands. Both are available on Amazon.

Mike
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Ed
Got one as a Christmas gift. May seem like not needed down South but at my age the cold seems to get to me more each year. It appears to work well as I tested it.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Hasn't got that cold here yet this winter, but gloves like this keep the fingers from going numb while retaining manual dexterity.
finger glove.jpg
finger glove.jpg (263.6 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I have these little plastic packs called "Wonder Warmers". They're filled with a kind of clear gel and have a little metal disk floating in them. When you press the disk, it clicks and the gel slowly begins to thicken and produce heat. They're good for about an hour or so if you keep them in your pockets or slip them into gloves. They can be recharged indefinitely by setting them in boiling water for about 10 minutes, which turns the gel transparent again and readies them for reuse. They're available in various sizes.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If I"m outdoors in the cold, I simply keep busy doing something that keep my hands moving. Activity warms the hands. If I can't keep my hands moving, it is either time to get back indoors or put on old school "mittens".
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

I'm interested in the brand. I like the idea of it being a power bank too.
Thanks
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Maybe I am just soft, but surprised you guys can work in an unheated shop this time of year. I live in the desert Southwest and still need heat to function in my shop most days. I love hand warmers, but only use them for hunting and fishing, but I am glad to see electric hand warmers available now. My Dad got one of those heated Milwaukee jackets last year and loves his, but I haven't tried one yet. Might be a good combination of having an electric jacket and hand warmer.

Just curious if anyone has a wood stove in their shop? I have always liked the idea myself as you can burn offcuts/scrap in the stove for heat. They have some really small wood stoves now for tiny houses, campers, vans, etc. Because of the smaller size, clearances can be a lot smaller making it easier to fit one of these in a small, cramped wood shop.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collect ... 1416837252
Cubisobrassfire_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Cubisobrassfire_1024x1024@2x.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Living in the cold frozen north, I learned early that I don't work in an unheated shop in Winter. My woodworking shop is down in my basement. i converted the rec and TV room to a woodworking workshop. Heat is taken care of 24/7 by the house boiler.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is the hand warmer I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YC ... UTF8&psc=1

So far so good............

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]