JDS Multi Router

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

JDS Multi Router

Post by jsburger »

Woodpeckers is bringing back the JDS Multi Router. It is even in the original color. In 2009 FineWoodworking listed the price as $2750.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/07 ... ter-review

Woodpeckers pre-sale price is $2399 with a regular price of $2995. Not bad for 12 years later.

https://www.woodpeck.com/multi-router-g ... v9qvgn5src
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: JDS Multi Router

Post by RFGuy »

Interesting...so Woodpeckers is the one selling it now? Did it go out of production at some point? I thought it had changed hands a couple of times, but was always in production somewhere. Though it is very expensive and hard to justify outside of a production woodworking shop.

https://multi-router.com/about-us/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:34 pm Interesting...so Woodpeckers is the one selling it now? Did it go out of production at some point? I thought it had changed hands a couple of times, but was always in production somewhere. Though it is very expensive and hard to justify outside of a production woodworking shop.

https://multi-router.com/about-us/
Last time I checked many years ago JDS was still selling it. The JDS Tools web site no longer exists. I wonder when the link you posted was put up. I have to think not very recently. I guess it did go out of production at some point but maybe not. It is still shown on Lorraine Machine's web site. :confused:

The Shaper Origin can do all of the same things plus much more for about the same price. However, in a dedicated production shop it is probably a good tool and not that expensive for a small shop.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

The sales videos always make it look so easy. I wonder how easy/difficult it is to get those perfect results.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Does anyone see anything the Multi-Router can do versus the PantoRouter? Or vice versa?
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

roy_okc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am Does anyone see anything the Multi-Router can do versus the PantoRouter? Or vice versa?
Yeah, I am curious about that too. Don't know anyone that has either machine, but they seem to be very similar. I saw Jay Bates use his Pantorouter last year (see below). It looks like the Pantorouter has some type of plastic template pieces whereas the Woodpecker version of the JDS Multi-Router has aluminum templates. Also, below is an interesting review of the JDS Multi-Router. Reason I am including this is because the comment highlighted below is what I was kind of suspecting on these machines which besides the cost is why I think they are primarily production workshop only machines.

Excerpt on JDS Multi-Router:
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.p ... ser.50450/
I've had the Powermatic 719t and sold it to get the JDS multirouter. The 719 was a nice machine but even though it tilts it's not as easy to cut angled mortises as on the JDS, and with the JDS you can cut both the mortise and the tenon. I've found that it's sometimes much easier to cut the angles on the tenon instead and keep the mortise conventional. The only downside to the JDS is the set up time. It's pretty straightforward on the regular mortising machines to set up your cuts, and the JDS set-up for the mortises is pretty easy too, but the set up to get the tenon to fit tight takes awhile. But then again it's take awhile to get the tenon right if your cutting to fit on the tablesaw too.

It really comes down to production, if your gonna cut just a few mortises and tenons then a standard mortiser with hand cut or table saw tenons works awesome. If however, your gonna build a set of dining room chairs the JDS is the way to go (assuming your mortise and tenon cuts are all the same-especially if angles are involved)

Don't however fall into the false belief that the JDS is an end all be all problem solver. I've had projects where I've ended up spending more time setting up the multirouter for cuts when I could've cut them quicker by hand. It really excels at production cutting.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It looks like Woodpeckers did buy the rights to the Multi Router and are planning some upgrades for it according to Darrell Peart:

📶RF Guy

garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It looks like a great tool, but with a small shop short on space and a thin wallet short on green, I will have to do without one.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Wow that is a pretty penny to pay for what it can do. Its in the range of a Shaper Origin which $2499 now days. It can handle heavy duty operations to support production type work that some folks may need.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

sehast wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:04 pm Wow that is a pretty penny to pay for what it can do. Its in the range of a Shaper Origin which $2499 now days. It can handle heavy duty operations to support production type work that some folks may need.
I thought about buying the Multi Router years ago, but never did. The Shaper Origin does everything the Multi Router does and a whole lot more so that is what I bought. If all you ever do is mortise's and tenons then the Multi Router is fine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT