Bridge city tools

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Bridge city tools

Post by Hobbyman2 »

While in search of quality marking gages, squares and layout tools I ran across this brand , I had heard of them years ago but just never seen them around , I understand they were bought out and under new management , while watching a video on youtube about hand planes their plane was being previewed , went searching for a price and turns out some of the tools are what looks to be compatible with wood pecker , I doubt I wil be buying one of their planes they were previewing , at over 1000 dollars it may be a little out of the budget , went to their website and I was rather impressed with the price functionality and as well as the appearance of their layout tools , when comparing them to the big names they appear to have functions that some do not offer . https://bridgecitytools.com/collections/layout-tools-2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Bridge city tools

Post by Hobbyman2 »

for clarification I am not involved in any way associated with the Bridge city, and do not receive any promotional funds for or from them .
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I always saw Bridge City Toolworks as an aspirational brand, like Blue Spruce, Woodpeckers, etc., etc. In other words, they try to make beautiful tools that are also functional and serve a certain niche. So, it seems kind of ironic now that they are now Chinese owned (Harvey Industries). Other than their high price, what is supposed to differentiate them from all the other Chinese made tools on https://usa.banggood.com/?

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news ... d%20tools.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

+1 They may not be for every one . multiple dovetail gages in some of the layout tools would be a advantage for some .
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Checking the link you posted, they seem to have lots of tools on sale right now, but the prices don't look as good as what they had back in December. I am on their mail-list and they had different tool deals probably every day leading up to Christmas. The one and only tool that I own from them is the MMS-1 Mini Miter Square which I got for like $9, but now it is $15 on sale?!? Guess they were desperate for revenue to close out their financial year in December. It is an okay square, but maybe not as nice as my Woodpeckers or Blue Spruce ones.

I actually really like their Jointmaker Pro v2 from them, but couldn't see spending $1k for a handsaw based tablesaw...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks That is good to know I was tempted to send off for one of the tri squares .
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Apparently Stumpy Nubs is a fan of Harvey (Bridge City Toolworks) handplanes as he just showed off his PVD gold one:

Sale ends today for them for anyone who is interested:
https://bridgecitytools.com/collections/hope-in-2021
📶RF Guy

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Thanks for the notification. I want to order the gold one before it goes off sale! If you want planning perfection you must use gold tools. It insures cuts to .00003” tolerances plus it reduces effort by nearly 50% and the extra weight reduces skipping. Plus it gives you real reason to sob when you knock a $300 plane off you work bench.
P.S. I am having my Shopsmith and all SPT gold plated! 🤪
Signed
The Gold Goof!🤓
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

:)
Yeah, I think we have gone too far if we are gold plating woodworking tools. I couldn't confirm it from their website, but apparently it is PVD (physical vapor deposition) applied gold, so a very thin layer of gold. Well, if you see humor in the excess of a gold handplane, you might find this video fun to watch. Jason Hibbs (Bourbon Moth Woodworking) is my new favorite YouTube woodworker. His video about making a pallet out of an epoxy river table is one of the funniest woodworking related content videos that I have seen. Clearly a parody of the pallet wood furniture and epoxy river table trends mashup. Enjoy!

📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

:( I actually watched it all the way to the end. :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.