Lift Assist

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist

Post by RFGuy »

lalkie01 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:37 am I wanted to get the lift assist for my 520 but am disappointed with the Shop Smith design. The Super Shop uses a spring in the base and works well without getting in the way. Any one have a better design? You Tube has some hack options but I would think Shop Smith could come up with a design that is professional and efficient. Larry
Larry,

I haven't seen how the Smithy Supershop does their lift assist, but it sounds like they use a torsional spring so I assume it is similar to how a garage door spring counterbalances the door. If so, it sounds like an interesting design. I don't have the Shopsmith lift assist, but it looks like a good design and well built to me. It is in the way for me as well which is why I haven't purchased it. I have the 3 red Shopsmith tool cabinets they used to sell under my Mark V. I have grown too accustomed to them underneath and would have to sacrifice at least one to use the lift assist. I have thought about ways to lift my Mark V with an add-on from the ceiling, e.g. using a small winch or come along, but these would be rather slow. If anyone has any good ideas for alternative ways to lift a Mark V, perhaps from a previous thread, please let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8029
Last edited by RFGuy on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

lalkie01 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:37 am I wanted to get the lift assist for my 520 but am disappointed with the Shop Smith design. The Super Shop uses a spring in the base and works well without getting in the way. Any one have a better design? You Tube has some hack options but I would think Shop Smith could come up with a design that is professional and efficient. Larry
I have one of my 10ER's set up as a dedicated drill press, so I don't really need this feature, but I ran across these springs on line that are used on dump trucks for the arms of the tarp covers. They would be similar to the springs on the Supershop, and I think their pivot pin could be mounted to the back of the SS pivot base and a bracket fabricated to engage the rear way tube. The site in the link is just an example, they are widely available.
https://www.carolinatarps.com/item/9301
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rpd wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:55 am
I have one of my 10ER's set up as a dedicated drill press, so I don't really need this feature, but I ran across these springs on line that are used on dump trucks for the arms of the tarp covers. They would be similar to the springs on the Supershop, and I think their pivot pin could be mounted to the back of the SS pivot base and a bracket fabricated to engage the rear way tube. The site in the link is just an example, they are widely available.
Thanks Ron. That's an interesting idea and I hadn't seen that pancake style torsion spring before. It might be an option for me to incorporate and still keep my 3 cabinets under my Mark V. Definitely interesting and thanks for posting it. I did go and dig up the exploded parts diagram for the Smithy Supershop and it is what I thought, i.e. a cylindrical torsion spring (similar to garage door) is mounted inside the base casting. I don't have a PowerPro headstock, so any lift assist could be worth it, i.e. it doesn't have to offset all of the headstock weight.
SmithySupershop.jpg
SmithySupershop.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 944 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 pm
rpd wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:55 am
Thanks Ron. That's an interesting idea and I hadn't seen that pancake style torsion spring before. It might be an option for me to incorporate and still keep my 3 cabinets under my Mark V. Definitely interesting and thanks for posting it. I did go and dig up the exploded parts diagram for the Smithy Supershop and it is what I thought, i.e. a cylindrical torsion spring (similar to garage door) is mounted inside the base casting. I don't have a PowerPro headstock, so any lift assist could be worth it, i.e. it doesn't have to offset all of the headstock weight.
SmithySupershop.jpg
Thanks for that drawing. I was not able to envision how a garage door spring would work. I also can not imagine how you would incorporate such a spring without redesigning the Base Arm casting. Not a DIY job.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:13 pm Thanks for that drawing. I was not able to envision how a garage door spring would work. I also can not imagine how you would incorporate such a spring without redesigning the Base Arm casting. Not a DIY job.
Dusty,

Yeah, the garage door type spring wouldn't work on a Mark V without a major re-design of the base castings, etc. This may not work, but the idea that I have is to use 1 or 2 of the spiral torsion springs like Ron posted a link for. Idea would be to mount it outside the base casting, e.g. in front or back or both. I have been meaning to build some mounts that hang the 3 red Shopsmith cabinets under my Mark V so that they are always there and move with it when I need to roll it around. I may be able to incorporate these spiral torsion springs in some manner with this mount and attach the other side to the bench tubes. If this would work, I would probably need some way to lock it when down so that the spring tension doesn't inadvertently affect my Mark V alignment.
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There could be a multitude of issues arise if you was to attempt something like this without the facilities to rebuild whatever And then a long list of problems that you might not consider. Like "how much lift must you provide" in order to elevate a 50 pound dead wait at the end of a 3'-4' lever.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I know it probably won't work. Getting the mount just right for the spring to work well with the pivot is a concern amongst many others. It is only $10 for one spring so I might buy one and just do some experimenting with it. Probably best solution for me is to just put some pulleys on the ceiling and hang a counterbalance weight in the corner of my shop. When I want to lift to drill press mode I would just attach it to the end of the Mark V and release the safety on the weight. This would work in my shop because my Mark V lives in the center and doesn't move around much unless I need to rotate it 90°for planing/jointing long boards.

P.S. I found the design formulas for these kinds of coil springs. Now, I just need to remember what I was taught from Statics and Dynamics class...
spiral-torsion-springs.pdf
(949.18 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
📶RF Guy