Lift Assist

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Lift Assist

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow Geniuses
Will a Lift Assist work well with the heavy duty Optional SS 38LB Tool Rest Banjo? Now take that same setup and think about sitting in a wheelchair performing the same lift? What is up with the gas cylinder upgrade? I am sure it has to do with the additional weight of a ProPower head. Would this be a consideration while including the weight of the 38LB Banjo.
OR.... Do I simply remove the banjo before the lift?
Thank you!
Thom Schuck
Portland
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Lift Assist

Post by JPG »

WHY would you need to leave it mounted when raising to vertical anyway.

Yes do remove the extra weight. (There is waaay too much)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Thom,

I think you can go to Drill Press mode without removing all of it. Leaving just the Mounting Plate (ref 3 from the instructions parts list) and the Mounting Bar Plate (ref 1). the Carriage Bolt (ref 2) and the Socket Head Cap Screws (ref 4) in place for your situation would work well for you. I know removing the other parts can be a challenge for you because the Support Base (ref 6) is heavy but I believe it is best to have those other parts out of the way. Leaving the Mounting Plate plus hardware will make the lift harder to do but since you use the Drill Press mode with the table and headstock lower than most of us would there is extra leverage for the Lift Assist in your case. I tried it on my Mark 7 and with the carriage next to the Lift Assist mounting blocks and Headstock positioned relative to the carriage it lifted okay. The only issue I can see for you is you cannot line up the spindle to center any table inserts. The Mounting Plate keeps the main table edge more than thickness of the plate further away from the way tubes. With that in mind always back up stock to be drilled with a backing scrap of wood to avoid hitting the table. For others reading this keep in mind Thom's situation calls for adapting how the tool is used to make it work for him.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

WHY would I leave it attached???
Because I am in a wheelchair with a severe neurological condition that limits my weight lift ability to about a whopping 15lbs. I am always looking for work arounds so I can do what I want to do with out asking my wife for help. That’s WHY I would leave it attached. Discovering ones limitations without getting hurt or damaging equipment is paramount. Thanks Russ, Good answer!
THANK YOU!
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would be very careful when doing this. The base clamp was not intended to provide support other than that provided by the weight bearing on the tubes and the clamp merely prevents it from moving sideways(The clamp does not support the weight in the normal position).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In the picture below I have set up on my Mark 7 what I am suggesting specifically for Thom's situation to be left on his Shopsmith when going to Drill Press mode after being in Lathe mode. Since Thom needs his Main Table as low as it can go the Mounting Plate rests against the Lift Assist mounting blocks. The Mounting Plate should be tight on the Carriage as when using the Universal Tool Rest to keep everything in place. With the Carriage locked all parts will remain in position. You can see in the picture that the Main Table cannot retract as far towards the Way Tubes since the Mounting Plate is in the way. It is a trade off for Thom's situation. Again, I am not suggesting this to be a normal for everyone who has a Universal Tool Rest on their Mark series tool. Since most of us have the Main Table higher in Drill Press mode JPG's warning would apply. Mine will come off for other tool functions.

__
Mounting Plate.jpg
Mounting Plate.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

JPG is guilty of not realizing the base mounts to the carriage. However my concern remains, but now is for the carriage lock.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I understand your concerns and do agree that this is not an option for everyone but is a specific recommendation for a specific case. This is important for other reading this thread to understand. In this case, for Thom's situation, the carriage lock would not be holding the extra weight of the Mounting Plate since he will use the table as low as it can go having the Mounting Plate resting against the mounting blocks of the Lift Assist. That position will help support the weight and not have it putting extra work on the carriage lock. Again, this is not a recommendation for general use. It may be helpful for other reading this to know that I have met Thom and understand his limitations so I based my recommendations here specifically for him. JPG's concerns do make me look carefully at options to make it safe to be used this way for this special situation.
Russ

Mark V 520
lalkie01
Gold Member

Post by lalkie01 »

I wanted to get the lift assist for my 520 but am disappointed with the Shop Smith design. The Super Shop uses a spring in the base and works well without getting in the way. Any one have a better design? You Tube has some hack options but I would think Shop Smith could come up with a design that is professional and efficient. Larry
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

lalkie01 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:37 am I wanted to get the lift assist for my 520 but am disappointed with the Shop Smith design. The Super Shop uses a spring in the base and works well without getting in the way. Any one have a better design? You Tube has some hack options but I would think Shop Smith could come up with a design that is professional and efficient. Larry
I guess this is an opinion sort of thing. I have the Shopsmith Lift Assist installed on my Mark V and I love it. It works exactly the way it is advertised.

Maybe your solution should be a Super Shop. Good Luck.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.