Why do I need a 10 position Quick-Index Quill Feed?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john_001
Gold Member

Re: Why do I need a 10 position Quick-Index Quill Feed?

Post by john_001 »

I've thought about it but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The 3-position handle on my greenie either blocks the speed control or interferes with the table. In fact, once when I was cutting bevels, I returned the table to what I thought was horizontal and noticed that my cuts weren't square. The edge of the table was hitting the end of the handle and propping it up at about 3°. I could probably fix the problem by re-clocking the quill advance to a different tooth, but the 10-position handle is a tempting (and easier) alternative.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When this first came out it seemed like a real so-so idea to me. I even posted my feelings and explained how I would change the handle position by means of pulling the quill and changing gear locations..... anyway long story shortened, I purchased one. Then I purchased two more.

The wining feature is being able to remove the handle by just pulling it off. While it is nice to be able to change positions that is clearly secondary to me.

When I finally decided to dedicate a shopsmith to drill position I had it setup with the drill handle (which I got back in the 70's) it had spent much of it's life in a drawer and thought that it would always be on the drill press from that point forward. For some reason which I now have forgotten I switch to the new quick-change handle and now the three handle version is back living in a drawer. It is not that I hate the drill version it is just really easy to use the new one and get the position where you need it to have the lever working for you when and where you need it. I still want to retain the old handle just in case I find a situation where it would come in handy but so far it been a couple of years again and it has not seen garage light.

I also got the table lift system for the dedicated drill press but of late it seem it disconnected most of the time. The range is to limited for me. Since I have a powerpro head stock that takes a lot of effort to move up and down it is far easier to just keep it in place and move the table as needed and I find I need to remove the lift for a lot of things. It is nice but not as functional as I had hoped.

If you are on the fence about the quick-index get on over here where the grass is always greener, it's worth it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You guys have convinced me the 10 position quick-index will be a a great feature to have. I'm still gonna make a 3 arm feed for the drill press but now I want at least one of the other ones to use for almost every other function.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Well here is an update. I ordered the set with two hubs and it arrived yesterday. I put the two hubs on the Mark 7 and tried it. I like it so far. Mortising will be the real test but I don't have any plans for doing any yet. Since I generally use my right hand for Drill Press operations I have always kept the handle on the back side of the headstock. I think I may put the second hub on the Mark V so I can use it on either tool. At some point I may have to get a second handle.

I could be a tool/gadget junkie. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm not convinced I "NEED" it.

At my age I have quit buying tools unless I feel that I will really use them (regularly). What I have has served me well.

Now that means I will buy only to achieve something that can't be done safely with what I have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Do I "NEED" it? No, I have successfully used the single handle that comes on the Shopsmith tools for a long time now. I do like the convenience of the quick release for positioning the handle but could continue getting along without it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm Since I generally use my right hand for Drill Press operations I have always kept the handle on the back side of the headstock.
This is all I was thinking about initially. I have a dedicated drill press and I keep the handle on the right side. Back when I first had two machines my older Greenie was mainly in drill press mode and I kept the handle on the right side of that. I'm going to make a 3-handle for that drill press, and maybe a second one for the left side also. But when I have that done it's time to consider getting a 10 position handle and at least two hubs for the regular horizontal machines.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:08 pm Do I "NEED" it? No, I have successfully used the single handle that comes on the Shopsmith tools for a long time now. I do like the convenience of the quick release for positioning the handle but could continue getting along without it.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about mine but bought it on a whim when Shopsmith had it on sale. Having used it now for awhile I find that I love it. I know there is a tendency these days for magnets to be overused on some applications, e.g. magnetic quick disconnects on dust collection fittings, putting them in furniture for the "cool" factor to post on Instagram, etc., etc. However, for this application I think this is a perfect example of making good use of magnets for quick re-positioning the quill handle as needed. Also, the 10 positions are more than enough for my needs. Just my opinion, but I think this is one of the accessories that Shopsmith got the design exactly right.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You probably don't "need" a 10 position one, but the real question is, do you "want" one. Having 10 different positions could come in handy like others have said depending on the job. A 3 position one with removable or rotatable handle would do much the same, but not have quite as many options for positioning it.
Use what works for you. Likely what works best for you won't be the same as what is best for someone else.
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

Hi guys,
There's some confusion here about my handles - I make the 19 position quick release purple hub handle sets that have been referred to here. Someone was questioning how they even worked.

I thought it might help if I explain how they work, and why they are better than either the single arm SS handle or the 10 position SS handle or the 3 arm SS handle. This is not a sales pitch, just a FYI so you understand how they work and why you might or might not prefer them to the standard handles.
Do you NEED them? Probably not, any more than you "need" any convenience feature. But we all like convenience. The issue is, will any handle do a BETTER job than the standard handle, and the answer is yes - if they didn't people wouldn't by them - either the SS magnetic ones, or my quick release handles.
So, why are mine better?
1) More leverage - they do a better job with drill press operations and mortising, with the 1 arm handle being either 12 or 10 inches long depending on preference, and the 3 arm being 8 inches long.
2) Greater finesse. With the longer handle, you can control the feed more precisely. This applies to drilling, mortising, and to any operation where you move the quill in and out - precision sanding with the sanding disk, using the conical sanding disk, even lathe work
3) They are interchangeable - you can flip my 3 arm or 1 arm handle from side to side, easily and instantly. (You cannot do this with either the standard SS handle or their magnetic handle or the SS 3 arm drill press handle, you either have to unscrew and rescrew, or install two magnetic hubs; whichever way you go, its not instantaneous or truly interchangeable, while mine is).
4) They do NOT get in the way. By which I mean, I only have my handles ON the machine when I need them, I pop them off when I don't, instantly, and hang them next to the machine. The splined hubs remain on, but they DO NOT get in the way of ANY operation
5) Mine are positive lock, unlike the SS magnetic handle, which can be knocked off the machine with a good blow. Mine lock and will NOT unlock unless you press the release button.
6) Mine offer 19 positions, so that as you do any operation you can move and reposition the handle, easily and quickly to any of the 19 positions thus extending the range of the work you are doing.
7) I have yet to have a complaint from any user regarding my handles, only positive responses and pleased customers. They're all Shopsmith owners and they all love my handles. Some have bought multiple sets for different machines.
So... there's nothing wrong with the standard handle - it works. But it's not much use for mortising, just doesn't give you the leverage you need. And it's kind of sucky for drill press work too, especially if you're got a long travel on the quill you want to make. Which is why Shopsmith themselves made, first the 3 arm drill press handle, and then the magnetic handle, to offer their customers a better solution.
And why I invented these handles - I wanted something that was better yet...
I'm currently not making my purple handle sets as the main supply is backordered, but hope to be able to resume production in April.
My handles basically consist of a hardened steel shaft with 19 splines on it, with a 19 spline aluminum hub which mounts on the shaft. A button and spring arrangement in the hub allows you to press the hub on and when it engages, the hub is locked to the shaft and cannot be removed without pressing the button again. This makes it instant lock, quick release and 19 positions. A little wax (like everything else in the Shopsmith world) makes it work better.
Do you need it? Heck, you probably don't "need" your shopsmith if you have a hand saw, a hand drill, and a hand plane....
Each to his/her own, and I hope that this post has been helpful in explaining exactly how my handles work and what advantages they offer.
Attachments
bothleversdrillpress.jpg
bothleversdrillpress.jpg (281.37 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
IMG_20180411_100015340.jpg
IMG_20180411_100015340.jpg (190.08 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
single arm lever.jpg
single arm lever.jpg (296.28 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system