Shopsmith maxi-clamp system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Shopsmith maxi-clamp system

Post by ryanbp01 »

Has anyone used this? What are the pros and cons of it?
BPR
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith maxi-clamp system

Post by RFGuy »

I don't have these, but this thread may give you a bit more info on them:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3844
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are several threads on this system. Since I own one I feel the name should have been "maxi-not so useful". The erector set me saw that and ordered it and even got some of the extras but while it looks cool and has the potential for endless possibilities it remains to this day a disappointment. It is always good to keep a few of these things around to remind yourself that all that shines is not gold.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I wanted one of those for years and I bought one at a friends yard sale cheap maybe 25 years ago. It looks good on the shelf and I have every intention of using it someday... :rolleyes: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

For some STRANGE reason they command top dollar on E-Bay.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:12 pm For some STRANGE reason they command top dollar on E-Bay.
Strange? Chalk it up to brilliant marketing. What woodworker, in their right mind, wouldn’t want a “Maxi-Clamp”?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think erector set mentality is the cause.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I've seen a couple of them on Craig's List. There's one there now for $45, and it's located near a friend of mine who could go pick it up if I wanted it. It's listed as a Shopmat Maxi-Clamp but you can see in the pictures is appears to be the same thing don't really know what it is but seen the same remarks over and again, looks cool, difficult to set up, doesn't get used. But I'm sucker for cool looking stuff (the erector set mentality), so I may see if I can get this set.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Shop Mate === ShopSmith
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

The system has got me through a few interesting jams. I expect that its utility increases the more one uses it. Beyond its basic utility for gluing up small picture frames and similar, for me it's most useful in clamping odd things down to the workbench using the bench-dog holes. There are obviously better, stronger and more specialized tools for most of what it can do, but as a sort of Swiss-Army-knife clamping toolkit it's not terrible once you build it into your imagination.