PARF REAM for 20mm holes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: PARF REAM for 20mm holes

Post by RFGuy »

Ed & Steve,

Thanks guys. I had never heard of them before so thanks for sharing more info & pics. I had searched about them and there really don't seem to be that many on the market. I know Festool calls theirs a centering mandrel and I see some others on the market call it a "centering pin" tool, but they do seem to be kind of sparse from what I can tell. I don't really see one of these sold by each router manufacturer and other than the Festool one it seems to be more of a 3rd party tool manufacturer situation. Yeah, the Festool one is listed as being for all Festool routers, but I recognize that I saw it in a Festool video with the OF1010 being adjusted. I don't know if there is anything that I can do to correct my OF1400 but I still might order one of these and see what is possible.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: PARF REAM for 20mm holes

Post by RFGuy »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm Ed & Steve,

Thanks guys. I had never heard of them before so thanks for sharing more info & pics. I had searched about them and there really don't seem to be that many on the market. I know Festool calls theirs a centering mandrel and I see some others on the market call it a "centering pin" tool, but they do seem to be kind of sparse from what I can tell. I don't really see one of these sold by each router manufacturer and other than the Festool one it seems to be more of a 3rd party tool manufacturer situation. Yeah, the Festool one is listed as being for all Festool routers, but I recognize that I saw it in a Festool video with the OF1010 being adjusted. I don't know if there is anything that I can do to correct my OF1400 but I still might order one of these and see what is possible.
Just wanted to give an update to my prior posts on this thread. I am getting ready to route some 20mm dog holes on the end of my new router table/workbench combo. As I mentioned previously, I had some issues with concentricity when using my Festool OF 1400 router with guide bushings for template routing in the past. Thanks to feedback from forum members here and also a post on the FOG forum, I determined that my problem is with how Festool chooses to mount guide bushings. So, I purchased the Festool centering mandrel and proceeded to use it to see if I could slightly adjust the guide bushing before tightening it down. I was hoping this might solve my issue, but it didn't. While the centering mandrel was able to show that the guide bushing was perfectly centered relative to the concentricity of the router collet, I was able to easily move/rotate the plate that holds the guide bushing after removing the centering mandrel. I stole the pic below from a thread on FOG to illustrate the problem with the OF1400. In the pic, you can see the problem with the two tabs (one on each side) circled in red. These snap into the Festool router base, but it has some play and there is no way to lock it down securely to where it won't move. As suggested over on FOG, I will remove the Festool base and install an aftermarket base. A forum member over there indicated that this solved their problem, so I am optimistic it will solve mine as well. Just thought I would give an update here in case anyone has the Festool OF1400 or a similar problem with concentricity on another router brand.

FYI...I also bought the TSO 20mm reamer tool highlighted by the OP of this thread, so I have it now to clean out any dog holes that might be undersized or misshapen.
FestoolOF1400guidebushing.jpg
FestoolOF1400guidebushing.jpg (222.55 KiB) Viewed 905 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor