SS Dust Cover in sunlight

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

adrianpglover
Gold Member

SS Dust Cover in sunlight

Post by adrianpglover »

How do the Shopsmith brand dust covers hold up in sunlight? Are these thicker padded type or single ply light weight cloth?

My shop is actually an enclosed breezeway with very drafty single pane windows (awning windows off of some '60s or '70s mobile home) and I live in the Houston area. Currently I use some old moving blankets to cover my machines. Since the machines are mostly large pieces of metal, they change temperatures slower than the air around them and I can get condensation on them daily at the right times of the year, even under lighter weight dust covers. The moving blankets are nice in that it tends to help more with the moisture, but all but one of my moving blankets seem to be made from recycled plastic bags (think of the reusable shopping bag material) and they are flaking apart after about one year's exposure to morning and evening sunlight coming through these windows. Does anyone have experience with the SS brand dust covers in a shop that gets a lot of direct sunlight throughout the year? If so, do these start to fade and break down quickly or do they seem to hold up pretty well? Debating about buying some of these or asking my wife to make me some covers for my tools.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: SS Dust Cover in sunlight

Post by dusty »

My dust covers are all years old and are holding up well. They are not all of the same vintage and are not all of the same materials but they are all holding up well. It would not be fair to say they are exposed to direct sun, however, because my shop is a two bay garage. It is in Arizona so humidity is nor a factor. all-in-all I am satisfied with they and would buy more if I needed them.

I hardly ever cover the Mark V because I use it almost daily but I do have a cover for it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: SS Dust Cover in sunlight

Post by chapmanruss »

Like Dusty I have Shopsmith covers for all my Shopsmith tools including SPT's. Some of the covers are very old while others are much newer. They have been made out of different materials over the years. Mine do not really get direct sunlight. My oldest cover is an original Model 10E or 10ER cover from around 1950 made of canvas and looks in great shape still. It is in the picture below. Humidity is not nearly as bad here in Oregon as yours is. One thought - maybe putting a sun blocking film on the windows might help.

_
R60582-13223-R64000-Mark V.jpg
R60582-13223-R64000-Mark V.jpg (92.55 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.