Looking for metric brad point drill set

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Looking for metric brad point drill set

Post by reible »

One of the things on this years tool list is a set of brad point metric drills. I have so far only found two sets that have a complete set of bits (about 25 bits). One is by Fisch and one that is Woodriver, and yes the Fisch run about twice the price but might be twice as good??

Has anyone purchased such a set and have you found yet another brand to look at?

I*'m doing a lot more metric designs now and having only a few bits which I have gotten for pen like work I'm missing a lot of sizes. One of the things prompting this is that I have a similar such project coming up that requires another odd size bit that will cost me another $10 so they are slowly getting to be an expensive collection on a bit by bit bases. I have the 7mm, and the 12.5mm and looking at the possible need for 8mm, 10mm, 10.5mm 11mm and if I get those 4 at about $10 a pop that would be $40 towards a set.

I do have a metric twist drill set already and have for years. They are a decent set but lack the precision of brad point for working in wood.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for metric brad point drill set

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Did you try Axminster Tools in the UK? There are a few 19 piece, 25 piece, 50 piece and even a 170 piece set there. All look to be metric. Or were you hoping to find a metric set from a domestic supplier instead?

https://www.axminstertools.com/us/acces ... l-bit-sets
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

FWIW, I have the Fisch 16 piece wave cutter Forstner bit set and they are excellent.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ended up getting the Fisch 25 piece brad point set from Axminster. It was cheaper despite the $20 shipping/handling what ever fee. Should have it in a few days which is fine. Even with the savings I went over budget on these, had set aside $75 but this is coming to $91 and change.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Bits arrived today. I have been using Fisch bits for my pen turning and the like so I have had experience with them as a company but the bits I have are a different version for that.

The longer bit is for pens and the shorter is one from the new set.
bits.jpg
bits.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 620 times
This is the set. 3mm and up are brad point while the smaller ones are not.
drills.jpg
drills.jpg (139.24 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Just 34 degrees in the garage shop so no trying them today. Not that I really need to play with them, will wait for a real project to use them.

Ed