KREG Pocket-Hole Jig 720PRO

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

KREG Pocket-Hole Jig 720PRO

Post by RFGuy »

For those of you who are pocket hole fans, Kreg has come out with a new and improved pocket hole jig. Looks like Armor Tool's Auto-Jig Pocket Hole System must have cut into their sales too much so Kreg updated theirs and added dust collection.
KREGPOCKETHOLE.jpg
KREGPOCKETHOLE.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket-ho ... 20PRO.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Re: KREG Pocket-Hole Jig 720PRO

Post by claimdude »

Yeah, I ordered one from Kreg just now. I will sell my old K4 set up

Jack
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I got the email this morning and ordered one. For now I will keep my older jig as it has the ability to use both the smaller and the larger holes and those parts are not interchangeable with the new jig.

As I see it the main advantage to the new version for me is the clamping. Being able to have it vertical or horizontal might be use full, have to see about that one. My old jig has dust collection and it works OK, have to see if this new style is like.

One of my sons has borrowed my old jig so at some point I might gift it to him, or they can fight over it when I'm gone.

Due here between the 17 and 19 so while it will be here I don't see any testing for a while yet. Shop is down to 30 degrees, and no sign of a let up in the cold snap for a while.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

For pocket hole aficionados, Stumpy Nubs just reviewed the Castle 110 Pocket Hole Cutter. Never heard of this company before but it looks like an impressive pocket hole cutting machine.

https://castleusa.com/products/castle-1 ... utter.html
castle_pocket_hole2.jpg
castle_pocket_hole2.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:54 pm For pocket hole aficionados, Stumpy Nubs just reviewed the Castle 110 Pocket Hole Cutter. Never heard of this company before but it looks like an impressive pocket hole cutting machine.

https://castleusa.com/products/castle-1 ... utter.html
castle_pocket_hole2.jpg
The castle brand can move to the project and clamps on vertically or horizontally. The really nice thing is the angle of the hole is much shallower than the Kreg. Centered in the middle of the board.
Uses a router bit rather that a drill. Which cuts a much nicer slot, very clean. Although you must use a drill from the other end to open the passage for the threads if you need them open.

Stumpy Nubs seemed impressed and more or less said this was his go to pocket holder.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 am The castle brand can move to the project and clamps on vertically or horizontally. The really nice thing is the angle of the hole is much shallower than the Kreg. Centered in the middle of the board.
Uses a router bit rather that a drill. Which cuts a much nicer slot, very clean. Although you must use a drill from the other end to open the passage for the threads if you need them open.

Stumpy Nubs seemed impressed and more or less said this was his go to pocket holder.
Yeah, it is expensive but looks like a very well built product. The one negative with pocket screws IMHO is the rather steep angle of the screw, but with this product the screws end up almost parallel to the face of the joint (nearly down the middle of the stock which is nearly ideal). Of course, I don't know that this makes joints made with the Castle stronger than other brand pocket hole jigs, but it sounds like a better system on paper at least. Another attractive feature of it, I think, is that you can set where the pocket hole is cut on the board so I would think this gives you more options on using a particular screw size in multiple joints with differing thicknesses. Yeah, the ability to move the tool to the work is attractive. I appreciate this more now after using the Domino for a bit. Don't underestimate the "nicety" of having a jointing tool like this that is portable.
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket-ho ... DB210.html

Is what I would get if I had the space, money and need for a table top machine. I remember Norm when he got his......... boy that has to be a lot of years ago now.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

After some attempts to find the first time he used pocket holes the best I could find was a reference to 1989 when he showed this aluminum block which turned into the Kreg jig in 1990. So yes that was some years ago and I might have a tape of that on vhs if it is still good and I could find a machine to play it.... I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it.

Ed
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

I have at least three generations of Kreg jigs, starting back with the original aluminum version and they really do seem to get better each time. This one looks to have a touch of the Porter Cable QuikJig DNA in it. Scott
Porter Cable QuikJig 560_1.jpg
Porter Cable QuikJig 560_1.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It's here!
kreg720pro.jpg
kreg720pro.jpg (164.48 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Ed