Centipede update

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Centipede update

Post by reible »

Bora now is selling this item. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad. What I'm hoping is good news is that they now have both a imperial and metric top with either 3/4" holes or 20mm for the metric. It is hinged so it folds, not sure if that will allow it to be used for accurate hole placement or not so much.

And yes I have one on order. Turns out the best deal I could find was Home Depot with free shipping. Came out to $69 plus tax. Should be here Feb. 24th. So I will add some more information once I have it in hand.

https://boratool.com/ck22tm-centipeder- ... -dog-holes

It will without a doubt work as a clamping surface and be pretty portable and easy to setup. I really use my centipedes a lot so this should even give me more value. It would be super if it also worked for using the holes for cutting but maybe that is a step to far.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Centipede update

Post by RFGuy »

Looks like a good option for a much more economical version of an MFT.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got here a few days before expected! It is out of the box and ready to have me do some testing of the hole locations and to see how bad the hinge effects things. May have to wait for a few days as I have a stack of other things lined up to do before I can get to that.
cwbt.jpg
cwbt.jpg (217.96 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Ed
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Ed,

I have my eye on this set up and am anxiously awaiting your review comments!

Jack
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Had a few minutes to left today so started the preliminary testing of the top. The first think I noticed was that the 96mm pattern is not carried between tops. It is more like 150mm hole to hole across the hinge. It is pretty easy to see. This might or might not be an issue depending on how you might have hoped to use this.
ctt1.jpg
ctt1.jpg (251.41 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
I checked all the holes to make sure the dogs went in and felt reasonable, and they did.

Next I did some random testing for squareness using the holes in the woodpecker square. If you can get three dogs in then things are pretty square. Of course I could not test between table like this as it has to have the holes on 96mm spacing. So I reverted to just using the out side of the square with two dogs on one half and the third on the other half. I was pleasantly surprised as it proved to be pretty darn square. This of course has to do with the hinges and I might just have gotten lucky on mine.
ctt2.jpg
ctt2.jpg (180.25 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
I still plan to do an exhaustive test of the squareness. But so far I'm pretty happy about the results.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Used the table for the first time today. And managed to put my own personal touch to it. Was thinking I was routing 3/4" material but it was 1/2".... oh well now it broken in and it only maybe an inch long scar proves ownership and use.

Here is a shot of it set up:
newtop.jpg
newtop.jpg (369.77 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've been having a small issue with this new top and get it in to place. Some days are better then others and some of this is just old age related, my right wrist sometimes fails to perform like it use to. I've managed but I wanted to make it easier for those not so good days and hey for all the days I want to use it.

I wanted to set up to do some work today and thought that a simple solution was to mount a straight board to the top so the hinge wasn't fighting me as I lifted and adjusted the top. Scrap wood a couple of holes, a threaded insert and a couple threaded knobs should do the trick. This of course is not the only way this could be done but rather a way.

I think the pictures will speak for themselves:
ya1.jpg
ya1.jpg (488.82 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
ya2.jpg
ya2.jpg (353.65 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
ya3.jpg
ya3.jpg (378.78 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
ya4.jpg
ya4.jpg (302.31 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
This made my experience so much better, if you happen to find yourself getting one of these tops spend the couple of minutes it takes to make this!

And yes plenty of time to get the router mounted and do the work that needed to be done. And taking the top back off was also a good experience, I might even use this set up more since my tweak.
ya5.jpg
ya5.jpg (320.23 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Ed