Talk me into or out of buying this Mark VII

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Talk me into or out of buying this Mark VII

Post by edma194 »

Here is the Mark VII for sale.

Asking price is $650. It's not very far away from me. There's another thread on tachometers where I reveal that I want every tool there is. I don't have a lot of space left but I can find space for this.

If I buy it then it has to come down in price. It started out at $750 last year. I'd be willing to pay $500 I think.

Note that it claims the plastic parts were replaced by metal. You can see some of this in the pictures. I have seem the reports of problems with those plastic parts.

So, other than continuing to fill out a collection of Shopsmith tools, what reasons would I have to take this machine in? I am certainly a friend of all old tools and simply preserving this machine which is both old and unique has it's own rewards. I really do love old tools so much some people even call me an old tool. I think that's why they call me that anyway.

If I were to use this machine would I find any advantages over my other machines, an upgraded PowerPro on a 510 machine, and a dedicated drill press with the 510 head? It is cool looking, yes, but the motor is relatively small, I have a big dust collector already, the PowerPro does reverse. I don't have to use it to still buy it, but what are the great features I have heard the Mark VII has that are missing from the other Shopsmiths?

Or just tell me stuff in general about these machines that you know. I'm curious whether I end up with this machine or not. And feel free to purchase this thing yourself, I don't really need it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Talk me into or out of buying this Mark VII

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

I can't give you advice either way, but it looks like a well cared for machine. I am surprised about the steel rack to replace the plastic one. I don't follow Mark VII threads that closely, but I have never seen a metal option to replace those plastic parts that are known to wear and fatigue on a Mark VII. Interesting...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If it was close, it would be mine!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I owned one of those and it was my favorite. I started with a 10er, moved to a goldie then a Mk VII. Unfortunately movers damaged the frame and eventually the motor died beyond repair. That machine is WAY under priced in my opinion.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

db5 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am That machine is WAY under priced in my opinion.
That is a huge factor motivating me to buy it. It seems like too good a deal to pass up. The problem is I'm also a tightwad and I somehow have to justify the expenditure to myself.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

I think $550. is a fair price for a restored one. Looks like it's been restored(new paint, some new bearings, looks like a new 3D printed plastic rack on the tie bar).
Here is a link to another thread where I posted pros and cons of a mk VII as I see them.
viewtopic.php?p=269285#p269285
1 more con is it's harder to slow the speed dial down than a mkV.
I don't see any reason for you to get it except too add a really cool SS to your collection.
As I've said before on this forum I have a mkV(purchased for the SPT's) that I don't use because I have a mkVII.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

We all like and use different machines for our different reasons. I replaced mine with a 510 (later model) which I like but still preferred the Mk. VII. Being able to tilt it both ways is one of them. If you are just a collector then pass it by. If you would use it remember, "The pain of indecision is often followed by the pain of regret." Look before you leap? Yes, but he who hesitates is lost.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I cannot talk you into or out of it as that is for you to decide. It appears to be in very good condition and has addressed two problem areas of the original design, the cam and the racks. You can offer the seller less than the asking price since the worst thing can happen is a no. It's all part of the bargaining process. Since it has been for sale for some time now the seller may be willing to let it go for less than the current asking price. This can be especially true if the seller knows it is going to someone who will appreciate it like yourself.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Stop stressing over it and just go get it!!! It has a cam similar to the one that came with mine. The steel rack is a BIG plus. Since you have an appreciation for old things that work, I think you will be very pleased with it. It also runs fwd and rev. It appears to be in great condition.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 am Stop stressing over it and just go get it!!! It has a cam similar to the one that came with mine. The steel rack is a BIG plus. Since you have an appreciation for old things that work, I think you will be very pleased with it. It also runs fwd and rev. It appears to be in great condition.
Thank you JPG, you are absolutely right, this is not worth stressing over. I will be happy to own this machine. I'll pull it out once in a while to use and admire, and I won't be kicking myself later when it's no longer available.

Thank you everyone else, I appreciate what all of you had to say, which in each case was also a contribution to my decision. I just needed a little kick to get up and act.

I have emailed the owner, offered $500, the max I can spend on this right now. If I'm lucky a Mark VII will be joining the family soon.
Ed from Rhode Island